Google’s Vic Gundotra is on-stage at Google I/O to give some updates on Google+ and beyond. The first numbers announced are 250 million Google+ users with 150+ million active users monthly. He also said 50 percent of users sign-in every day and spend more than 12 minutes on average in the Google+ stream.
He also announced a new, full-featured tablet version of Google+ that will roll out to users today. It is equipped with video hangouts redesigned specifically for the tablet experience and other usual UI enhancements that we see in Google’s other apps. Also new to Google+ is a new feature called “Events.” Events are essentially invitations, which we are used to from other social networks, but are fully integrated with calendar and a “party mode” that allows partygoers to easily share pictures and other content during the event.
Google made a blog post on the official Google blog highlighting the new Events feature alongside four introduction videos below:
-Cinemagraphic themes for your beach trip, weekend brunch, or baseball game (and a whole lot more)
-The ability to attach a personalized video greeting from YouTube
-Unique animations that make your invites a joy to receive
The 2012 Google I/O Developers Conference starts today at the Moscone Center West in San Francisco, Calif., with events continuing until June 29 at 4:30 p.m. PST.
- Google I/O 2012 Liveblog
- Sergey Brin interrupts I/O keynote to demo Google Glasses, says conference attendees can pre-order headset
- Google+ has 250 million users, dedicated tablet version rolls out today
- Google unveils orb-like, USA-made Nexus Q streaming device
- Google officially announces the Nexus 7 tablet, ships in mid-july for $199
- Google Play eyes 1.5B app installs every month, introduces magazines and TV content
- Google says 1M Android devices activated daily
- Google officially unveils Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, rolling out OTA mid-July
- Google’s Nexus 7 tablet introduction video leaks out [Video]
- Video and images of Nexus Q home media device also leak ahead of Google I/O
- Here is Google’s Nexus 7 tablet [Photo]
- Sergey Brin walks around Google I/O wearing Google Glasses
- ‘Do Androids Dream of Jelly Beans?’ — Google gets ready for today’s I/O keynote
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.