Google just updated the Google Search app for Android today, and the most notable new feature is very Passbook-eque, as it can now pull up boarding passes via email and use QR codes for checking into airport terminals.
The check-in feature will apparently launch shortly for United Airlines, with more to come soon. Meanwhile, the updated app also includes more recommendations for things nearby, as well as weather data, summaries for walking and biking activity, etc. It even features new voice actions for posting to Google+, finding music, or scanning barcodes.
According to Google on the official Android blog, the update is especially useful when traveling during the holiday season:
Before you even leave your house, Google Now will tell you what the weather will be like at your destination (just in time to make sure you remember to pack those mittens). At the airport, your boarding pass is automatically pulled up, helping you breeze through to the gate (launching shortly for United Airlines, with more to come). And once you’ve arrived at your destination, Google Now can help you uncover some great activities, by showing you events happening around you, suggesting websites for you to explore as you research things to do, or allowing you to learn more about specific pieces while you’re at a museum (using Google Goggles).
The update is available now for devices running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean or up. Check out the full changelog from Google Play below:
- Google announces Q3 earnings call for October 13th
- Review: A month with the Samsung Chromebook
- Google adds horizontal carousel for web based iPad searches about local places
- Google rolls out Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad
- Google I/O 2013 developer conference slated for May 15 to May 17 in San Francisco
- New cards:
- - Events nearby
- - Suggestions to help with your research
- - Boarding passes from Gmail (United only, more to come)
- - Search by camera when at museums or shops
- - Weather at upcoming travel destinations
- - Approximate monthly summary of walking and biking activity
- New voice actions:
- - Post to Google+
- - Say “What’s this song?” to find the song you hear
- - Say “Scan a barcode” to find product info