nest cam Stories January 5, 2021
Google’s Nest security camera line has remained unchanged for the past three years. The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor was the last new product announced, but it has been out of stock in most parts of the world for the past several weeks.
nest cam Stories December 11, 2020
Google creates new troubleshooting tools for Nest Cams and Thermostats
Instead of first reaching out to support, some problems with today’s smart home devices can be resolved by looking through available documentation. To simplify that journey, Google has released two troubleshooting tools for Nest Cams and Thermostats.
nest cam Stories August 25, 2020
Google Home app gets unified page to show all of your Nest Cam feeds
nest cam Stories May 11, 2020
COVID-19 is driving extreme change in society and healthcare, with the pandemic forcing hospitals to innovate. One of those ways involves a Google partnership where Nest Cams are installed in areas where those with coronavirus reside to help “more efficiently care for patients and preserve PPE.”
nest cam Stories April 14, 2020
From YouTube to Stadia, services around the world are adjusting streaming quality to minimize network strain due to the surge in remote work and distance learning. In response to COVID-19, Google today announced that Nest Cams will switch to default quality to help conserve bandwidth.
nest cam Stories March 23, 2020
nest cam Stories September 21, 2019
nest cam Stories August 19, 2019
nest cam Stories August 14, 2019
nest cam Stories May 20, 2019
nest cam Stories January 23, 2019
A California family recently had a major scare when their Nest Cam started yelling out a nuclear missile warning, warning the family that North Korea had launched ICBMs towards the United States. What was first assumed a terrifying hack, though, turns out to simply be a case of poor password management.
nest cam Stories March 8, 2017
Alphabet’s Nest is developing remote sensors for its smart thermostat to allow temperature to be controlled on a room-by-room basis, reports Bloomberg. Competing smart thermostat products typically use units attached to radiators that detect the room temperature and adjust the flow to each room.
The company is also said to be working on a lower-cost version of the company’s smart thermostat, with a target price of under $200 against its current price of $249. That price reduction may, though, be reflected in the finish of the product, says the paper’s source …
nest cam Stories February 14, 2017
nest cam Stories July 14, 2016
The most notable enhancement over the original, indoor-only version of Nest Cam is necessary weatherproofing for outdoor use.
nest cam Stories June 9, 2016
A letter from new Nest CEO Marwan Fawaz yesterday reiterated that the company is following through on its current product roadmap. Tech Insider is now reporting that upcoming products for this year include a rugged Nest Cam meant for outdoor usage and new colors for the Nest Thermostat, with bigger products launching in 2017.
nest cam Stories April 6, 2016
9to5Toys Lunch Break: Nexux 5X 16GB $230, First gen. Moto 360 $100, Nest Cam $180, more
TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS:
Google Nexus 5X 16GB now just $230 shipped (Reg. $349)
Moto 360 Android Wear stainless steel: $100 shipped (Reg. $150) | B&H
Nest Cam security camera: $180 shipped (Reg. $200) | eBay
Walmart launches iPhone SE $100 discount, $150 discount on Galaxy S6/7
iPhone SE and Galaxy S7/Edge cases in a variety of styles/colors from $3 shipped
Storage: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3.0 Portable HDD $50 (Reg. $60), more
MORE NEW GEAR FROM TODAY:
Smartphone Accessories: Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III $249 shipped (Reg. $300), Aduro 2-Outlet USB Surge Protector $10, more
- Timbuk2 Spire Backpack for 15-inch MacBooks: $67 shipped (Reg. $99)
- Learn to build amazing apps with the Apple TV Developer Course: $19 (Orig. $199)
- Games/Apps: Rainbow Six Siege $30, COD Black Ops 3 $31, more
- Amazon Gold Box – 40% off Citizen Watches: Eco-Drive Stainless Steel $185, more
- Daily Deals: Onkyo Dolby Atmos 7.2-Ch Network A/V Receiver w/ AirPlay $285, more
- Up to 50% off Rachio smart home sprinkler systems: 8-zone $130 or 16-zone $150
- Grab a free Kindle download of Jane Austen’s ‘Mansfield Park’ w/ Audible Narration
- Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi 128GB in all colors: $760 shipped (Reg. $949)
- Apple 12-inch Retina MacBook 1.1GHz/8GB/256GB: $990 shipped (Reg. $1,299), more
- Apple 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.2GHz/16GB/256GB: $1,600 shipped (Reg. $1,999)
- Apple Milanese Loop knockoff for a tenth of the price ($16 Prime shipped)
- Apple Watch 42mm Space Gray Milanese Loop Band: $27 Prime shipped (Reg. $35)
- Transistor action RPG for iOS matching its lowest price ever: $3 (Reg. $10)
- App Store Free App of the Week: CHOMP interactive storybook goes free
- Apple offers Day One 2 iOS journal app for free ($10 value)
- Apple TV 4th gen: 32GB $109 (Reg. $149), 64GB $154 (Reg. $199) w/ VISA Checkout
MORE DEALS STILL ALIVE:
AT&T buy 3 accessories, save 20%: iPad Pro Smart Keyboard $143 (Reg. $169), Apple Pencil $87 (Reg. $99), more
- You can now live stream an MLB game every day for free courtesy of Yahoo
- Home Theater: Pioneer 4K 3D AirPlay A/V Receiver $400, more
- UE BOOM 2 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker in all colors: $150 shipped (Reg. $200)
- T-Mobile offering $200 off any iPad when you buy an iPhone on installment plan
- Green Deals: Collapsible Solar Lantern $14, more
- Start programming with the ‘Learn Python 3.0 Visually’ Kindle eBook for $1 (Reg. $10)
- Mizuno Wave-series running shoes for men and women: Rider 18 $50 (Reg. $65+), more
- The classic-style Doom and Destiny RPG games drop to just $1 each on iOS (Reg. $3 ea)
- Game Dev Story for iOS now matching its lowest price ever: $1 (Reg. $5)
- Amazon’s popular Kindle e-readers are up to 37% off w/ prices starting at $50 shipped
- iTunes gift cards w/ free email delivery: $100 for $90, $50 for $45, more (10% off)
- Amazon Fire TV 4K Streaming Media Player $85 (Reg. $100), more
- Amazon is giving Prime members up to 3 magazine subscriptions for free: Wired, GQ, more
- Green Deals: Etekcity 3-pack of Remote Outlet Switches $17 (Reg. $25), more
- Browse the web anonymously: $60 (Orig. $80)
- Samsung 48-inch Smart UHDTVs: 3D 120Hz $925 (Reg. $1,200+), Curved 60Hz $629 (Reg. $830)
- Smartphone Accessories: Poweradd Solar 10000mAh Dual 2.1A USB Battery/light: $12, more
- Here’s how you can get a 90-day membership to BJ’s Warehouse for free
- Final Fantasy XV gets a new playable demo, now available for free on PS4 and Xbox One
- Green Deals: WORX WG156 2-in-1 Electric Trimmer/Edger $80 shipped (Reg. $107+), more
- Kindle First eBook freebies for April: Golden Age, The Secret Healer, Blood Defense, more
- Google Play Metal Albums for $0.99: Trivium’s Silence In The Snow (Orig. $11), more
- Lifeproof FRĒ SERIES Waterproof Case for iPhone 6/s Plus: $41 Prime shipped (Reg. $65)
- Buy a refurbished Apple AirPort Express Wi-Fi router for $49 shipped (Orig. $99)
NEW PRODUCTS & MORE:
Roku introduces a new quad-core streaming stick with a slimmed down design
Apogee releases its most affordable full-featured Mac recording interface yet
- The Yecup 365 travel mug uses your iPhone to heat or cool your drink
- ROAM-e follows you around in the sky and takes selfies on demand
- Sprint customers can now (but probably shouldn’t) pay monthly for Amazon Prime
- Seagate unveils the “world’s first” USB-powered 8TB desktop hard drive
- Sony’s new RX10 III digital camera goes big with a 24-600mm lens and 4K capabilities
- Unboxing the awesome, pricey C-3PO and Stormtrooper Bluetooth speakers [Video]
- QWERKYWRITER is a mechanical Bluetooth keyboard that takes us back to simpler times
- Build an Alexa-enabled device using a Raspberry Pi
- Review: Fitbit Alta pairs smart fitness tracking with a small and beautiful design
- The Kuvée smart wine bottle brings the Internet of Things to grapes near you
- This Kickstarter project allows up to 10 people wirelessly listen to nearly any source
- TCL’s new 4K Roku-enabled UHDTVs hit every price point
- The Tovala iOS-connected oven scans and automatically prepares your dinner
nest cam Stories March 29, 2016
In The Information‘s recent article about Nest and continued strife within the Alphabet subsidiary following a struggle-filled acquisition of Dropcam, Tony Fadell was dismissive of any blame for the departure of more than 50 Dropcam employees and their leader, Greg Duffy. “A lot of the employees were not as good as we hoped,” he said. He went on, saying Dropcam was “a very small team and unfortunately it wasn’t a very experienced team.”
Obviously this didn’t sit well with the former CEO of the San Francisco-based security cam company, who left Nest after a feud with the father-of-the-iPod over his brash ‘tyrant bureaucrat’ leadership style. And he took to his Medium blog this morning to chime in…
nest cam Stories March 24, 2016
A new report (paywalled) from The Information today told us that Google is working on a competitor to the Amazon Echo, but it also detailed in-depth Nest’s struggle as an Alphabet subsidiary and the apparent horror that was its acquisition of smart home security camera company Dropcam. Before eventually ending his time at the Alphabet company, Dropcam co-founder Greg Duffy apparently told Nest CEO Tony Fadell that he runs the company like a “tyrant bureaucrat”…
nest cam Stories March 10, 2016
Alphabet-owned Nest is best known for its smart thermostat, but the company works on a number of devices which, albeit being generally good at their given task, do not communicate with each other particularly well. And that’s mostly due to the fact that said devices have always had a hard time detecting whether you are actually at home or not.
With the upcoming implementation of GPS support via the Nest app, however, it looks like your house is about to become decidedly more efficient – and smart…
nest cam Stories November 23, 2015
Nest announces Black Friday promos for its Thermostat, Cam, & Protect smoke + CO alarm
Starting later this week you can expect some notable Black Friday deals on Nest’s rarely discounted smart home accessories. Leaked ads and early sales from major retailers have given us a good idea of what types of deals to expect from Nest, but now we’ve received the full lowdown:
- $50 off if you buy a Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Protect, at nest.com
- $30 off Nest Cam at Amazon, Best Buy, Sam’s Club, Nest.com, & other retailers
- $50 gift card if you buy a Nest Learning Thermostat or Nest Protect at Amazon, Best Buy, Sam’s Club, Nest.com, & other retailers
All of the discounts are set to go live starting Thanksgiving day at 5pm PT and run until November 30 at 11:59pm PT.
Follow 9to5Toys throughout Black Friday to get up-to-the-minute news on the best deals.
nest cam Stories November 12, 2015
Nest Cam 3-pack bundle launching this week for $497 ($100 savings)
Update (11/18 12:55pm): The new Nest Cam 3-pack bundle (and a 4-pack!) is now available on Amazon.
Nest Cam, the smart security camera that Google acquired and rebranded under its Nest company after acquiring Dropcam last year, is one of the best of these new breed of Wi-Fi connected, smartphone-controlled home security products. Today Nest is making decking out your home even easier and more affordable with a new 3-pack bundle of Nest Cams that will allow you to save $100 over the normal retail cost of individual units.
The new Nest Cam bundle will sell for $497, representing a $100 total savings on the bundle when considering Nest Cam on its own will run you $199 each (or $185 each currently on Amazon).
I took the Nest Cam for spin in recent months following its launch, and despite a few software shortcomings that Nest will inevitably catch up to in future releases, I overall had an excellent experience with the device and recommended it to just about everyone except diehard HomeKit users.
The new 3-Pack Nest Cam bundle will be available this week online for $497, as well as retail stores including Home Depot and Best Buy.
nest cam Stories July 7, 2015
Google Store now selling Nest Cam in the UK, Belgium, France, Ireland, & Netherlands
Google has expanded availability of its new Nest Cam product to more countries after officially unveiling the device last month. Starting today, customers in Belgium, France, Ireland, Netherlands, & United Kingdom will be able to pick up the device through the online Google Store. Google previously launched the device for customers in Canada and United States through its online store.
The product, alongside other new Nest products shown off in June, are the fruits of Google’s acquisitions of smart thermostat maker Nest and connected security camera company Dropcam last year. Nest Cam offers a lot of what made Dropcam cameras popular, offering 1080p HD video, 130-degree field of view, 8 infrared LEDs, night vision video support, companion mobile apps, and cloud recording and video history through a subscription service.
Nest Cam is available for $199 USD from the Google Store.
nest cam Stories June 17, 2015
Following the Nest Cam outed by Best Buy earlier today, Nest did in fact take the stage this morning to announce its new lineup of products. Besides the Nest Cam, Tony Fadell and company showed off the 2nd generation Nest Protect smoke detector, a new mobile app for Android and iOS that brings all of the company’s new products together, and more. Unfortunately, the company’s flagship Nest Thermostat didn’t get any hardware upgrades today… expand full story
Best Buy has just outed Nest’s new Nest Cam hardware before the company’s event set to kick off at 10 AM PDT. As you can see right now on Best Buy’s website, the device is available to pre-order for $199.99 with free shipping, and mentions the previously-leaked new Nest app as well as more previously-unknown details on the product. expand full story
nest cam Stories June 11, 2015
We told you Wednesday that Nest has some new hardware in the works (likely to be announced at its upcoming June 17th event), and now droid-life has come out with press images of the new Nest Cam—an update to the hardware and branding of the current Dropcam Pro. We also mentioned yesterday that Nest has a new app in the works that will work with all of Nest’s hardware, and it looks like we get to take an early peek at that too… expand full story