Today, Google announced Google Cloud Storage “Nearline” – a new class of storage service for businesses to “easily backup and store limitless amounts of data at a very low cost and access it at any time, in a matter of seconds (instead of hours).”
The idea is that you can receive your data in a matter of seconds (which frankly is close to online service providers) but only pay what offline data providers charge. It is a big enterprise push and Google has lined up some impressive partners.
In this push, Google is leveraging its economies of scale and expertise in large scale storage combined with its Enterprise Apps offerings. It is a shot across the bow of traditional offline storage providers who can’t offer Google’s scale. From the Blog post:
Unlike traditional solutions, Nearline provides unmatched price and performance for long-term storage:
- Fast Performance: all the benefits of cold storage while making the data immediately available. Unlike its competitors, Nearline enables ~3 second response times for data retrieval and improves SLAs.
- Low-cost: capacity pricing is extremely low at 1c per GB for data at rest.
- Security: redundant storage at multiple physical locations protects data. OAuth and granular access controls form strong, configurable security.
- Integrated: fully integrated with other Google Cloud Storage services, providing a consistent method of access across the entire Google Cloud Storage service line.
- Simple: no not need to adopt new programming models – data manipulation behavior remains the same across Google Cloud Storage services.
We know that changing your storage platforms and processes isn’t easy. This is why we’re working with some of the leading backup and storage providers to make adopting Nearline a seamless experience. Starting today, these partners – and others across the ecosystem – are available to help you take a new approach to data storage in your own environment:
Veritas/Symantec: NetBackup is the market leader in enterprise backup software and will support Google Cloud Storage Nearline in version 7.7. NetBackup integration with Google Cloud Storage Nearline will allow enterprises to increase business agility and information availability. Customers can seamlessly manage the lifecycle of their backups and keep a central catalog and recovery point for all their protected information, regardless of where it’s stored.
NetApp: SteelStore is an on-premises appliance that de-duplicates, encrypts, and compresses data before rapidly streaming it to Google Cloud Storage Nearline. SteelStore reduces data volumes by up to 30x and speeds data transport times by 400%—making onramp of your data to the cloud fast and easy. SteelStore currently supports Google Cloud Storage and will support Nearline in the second half of 2015.
Iron Mountain: We’re working with Iron Mountain to design an on-ramp to the cloud via an offline ingestion service that builds on Iron Mountain’s security, logistics and data management capabilities. If you have massive amounts of data and limited network connectivity, you’ll be able to simply package up and send your disks to Iron Mountain, where they’ll be uploaded directly into Google Cloud Storage Nearline.
Geminare: Get Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) solutions running on Google Compute Engine and Google Cloud Storage Nearline. Geminare lets you use the cloud as your secondary data center location, enabling both DR modernization and, for the first time, cost-effective replication of your current data centers.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.