Samsung and Verizon just sent out a press release announcing the Samsung Illusion, an Android 2.3-powered entry-level handset dropping online tomorrow and in stores in January. While it’s far from a competitor for high-end Android devices, when we start to take a look at the specs, sleek design, and price, it looks like a great option for anyone that might have been considering Apple’s iPhone 3GS.
As for specs, the Illusion doesn’t disappoint for a low-end Android and iPhone 3GS competitor. Included is a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, 3.0-megapixel camera, 6-axis accelerometer with compass, Bluetooth 3.0, built-in Wifi, and a microSD card for up to 32 GB. Perhaps most impressive is the design itself, which appears to be much nicer than your typical cheapo Android handset. We know the display will most likely the be the 3.5-inch 320×480 capacitive touchscreen spotted previously, but the press release only mentions a “curved glass display”.
It will officially become available for $79.99, but starting tomorrow you’ll be able to get it for free on a two-year contract as a special online-only promotion from November 24 to November 28. Full press release below, if you’re interested.
Simplicity meets style with the samsung illusion™ from verizon wireless
Equipped with Stylish Form Factor, the Samsung Illusion is Made from Post Consumer Material and Has Attained UL Platinum Rating
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the Samsung Illusion™ will be available online atwww.verizonwireless.com beginning Nov. 23 for $79.99 with a new two-year customer agreement. The Illusion will be available for free with a new two-year customer agreement between Thursday, Nov. 24 and Monday, Nov. 28 as a online promotion.
The sophisticated Samsung Illusion smartphone features a sleek form factor and is powered by the nation’s most reliable 3G wireless network. The Illusion boasts a 1GHz SamsungHummingbird Application Processor, 3.0-megapixel camera, HTML Web browser, music player and integrated contacts, calendar and social networking applications, as well as access to more than 300,000 apps available to download from Android Market™.
• Android 2.3™, Gingerbread– support for Google Mobile™ Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™ and Google Maps™
· SWYPE™ Technology – input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard
· Unique curved-glass display
· Corporate email support for Microsoft Office Exchange® so customers can synchronize corporate email, contacts and calendars from their office email
· Full suite of messaging options, including text, picture and video messaging
• Mobile Hotspot capability – share 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices
· 6-axis accelerometer with compass
· Bluetooth® 3.0 technology – support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access and object push for vCard and vCalendar
· Wi-Fi Connectivity 802.11 a/b/g/n
• microSD™ card slot with support for up to 32 GB (2 GB pre-installed)
Additional features – Designed with the environment in mind:
· UL Platinum Rating (Underwriters Laboratories) – the Samsung Illusion scored 84 out of 119 points to receive the “Platinum” UL rating
· Rear casing and battery cover are made from 70 percent post-consumer material and 35 percent of the front casing is post-consumer material
· Packaging made from bleach-free paper (post-consumer waste) and printed with vegetable ink
· Box material uses 60 percent recycled paper (post-consumer waste)
· High-efficiency charger with full-charge alarm
• The Samsung Illusion will be available online at http://www.verizonwireless.com on Nov. 23, and will be available in Verizon Communications Stores in January 2012.
• Customers that purchase a Samsung Illusion smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
For more information on the Samsung Illusion or for other Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go towww.verizonwireless.com.