youtube-logo

YouTube is currently working on its own paid music streaming service that will let users watch videos and listen to tunes without ads. As intriguing as this may sound, it could come at the expense of the outlet’s relationship with several indie bands. Historically, the Google-owned video streaming platform has been a major springboard for independent record labels looking to gain mainstream exposure, but this could soon change. According to Financial Times, YouTube will start blocking videos from record labels that haven’t signed licensing deals with the company’s subscription-based service.

Mountain View’s video streaming service claims to have inked deals with about 90 percent of the music industry, which suggests that most major record labels have signed on. But what about that remaining 10 percent? If deals aren’t reached soon, it’s quite possible that some independent acts may have to move their content to another platform. However, all hope isn’t lost. Last time we checked, YouTube’s music streaming service’s debut was reportedly placed on hold until later this year.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s