In case there was any doubt, Samsung has officially announced that the whole Galaxy phone lineup will be joining its Nexus S cousin on Gingerbread in the coming months. Also, The Galaxy Tabs will be heading to Gingerbread (what? no Honeycomb?).
As per usual, the rollout will start with GALAXY S in the UK and Nordic countries from mid-May, and gradually rolled out to other European markets, North America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, Africa and rest of the world according to the regional plan.
Then Verizon will release a Fascinate update a few months later.
Press release follows:
Samsung Offers Android 2.3 ‘Gingerbread’ Upgrade for GALAXY S and GALAXY Tab
SEOUL–(Korea Newswire) May 16, 2011 — Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in Android™ mobile devices, today announced the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S, GALAXY Tab, and GALAXY Ace/Gio/Fit/mini, giving users enhanced performance and an improved user interface.
The GALAXY S and GALAXY Tab are Samsung’s intelligently designed smart devices with 1 GHz application processors, giving users an intuitive, immersive and integrated mobile experience.
The upgrade from Froyo 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.3 offers an even greater user experience, with features including:
· Faster Performance – Multimedia content now has a lower CPU consumption rate, while support for more powerful 3D Graphics enables an enhanced mobile gaming experience. · Upgraded Usability – The user interface has been improved, enabling faster access and control and a more intuitive user experience. Users will also benefit from improved copy-and-paste functionality.
The Android 2.3 upgrade will start with GALAXY S in the UK and Nordic countries from mid-May, and gradually rolled out to other European markets, North America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, Africa and rest of the world according to the regional plan.
The upgrade will be available via Kies, Samsung’s device management software. Kies can be downloaded from Samsung’s corporate website (http://www.samsung.com).
- “Gingerbread Update For Galaxy Tab Rolling Out” and related posts (androidauthority.com)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7″ Android 2.3 Gingerbread Update Rolling Out Now (techie-buzz.com)
- Italian Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 users can get Android 2.3.3 update now (slashgear.com)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 gets Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread update in select markets (intomobile.com)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab getting Android 2.3 in the UK (dialtosave.co.uk)
- Gingerbread Rolling Out To Galaxy Tabs? (crunchgear.com)
- Galaxy Tabs get Android 2.3 in Europe (electronista.com)