At CommunicAsia 2011 in Singapore, Sony Ericsson launched a new compact smartphone that runs Gingerbread, the newest Android 2.3 release available for phones. Just 55mm wide, 92mm tall, 16.5mm deep and weighing in at 110 grams, it easily slips into your back pocket. The “It’s the ultimate phone for your active life” tagline is not without its merits: The device features dust-proof and water-resistant design with scratch-proof multitouch display that accepts touch input even when either the screen or your fingers are wet.
And you gotta love this line from the promo clip (below the fold) coming from the mouths of tennis player Maria Sharapova who endorsed the Xperia active while trashing Apple’s handset indirectly by alluding to Antennagate:
I don’t feel I have to be TOO SAFE with my phone, almost be a little rough and I know I’ll be able to take it and throw it in my bag, can get water on it, dust antyhing – and I know that I’ll be able to make a phone call.
Additionally, it comes preloaded with sports apps, has built-in GPS, barometer and compass and can monitor your heart rate and pulse in real time using ANT+ wireless networking. The impressive hardware (given its size) includes a three-inch display 320-by-480 display with Mobile Bravia Engine, a 1GHz processor and a five-megapixel back camera that shots 720p clips and has a bunch of intelligent features.
Plus, it ships with two interchangeable covers and a bunch of sports accessories, including an arm case, wrist strap, sport stereo headset. soft touch back cover and detachable ear hooks for the handsfree active headset. The Xperia active should hit select global markets by the third quarter of this year. More juicy press shots, full release and the Maria Sharapova clip right below.
22 June 2011, Singapore – Sony Ericsson today announced Xperia active, a compact smartphone targeting consumers with an active lifestyle, in conjunction with CommunicAsia 2011 in Singapore. With a 3” screen and running the latest Android platform for smartphones (Gingerbread 2.3), the phone packs Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine, a 5mp camera with HD video functionality, and a powerful 1Ghz processor. Xperia active is dust proof and water resistant* and uniquely incorporates wet finger tracking, to ensure the phone works perfectly when either the screen or a user’s fingers are wet.
The phone comes pre-loaded with sports apps that enable consumers to easily track their fitness levels. Users can set their ideal training route using the built-in GPS, Barometer and Compass. On-screen heart rate and pulse can be monitored in realtime (enabled by ANT+ wireless networking technology), while the iMapMyFitness app can monitor day to day performance. Additionally, Facebook inside Xperiaallows consumers to share their progress and experiences with friends. Sony Ericsson Xperia active will be available globally in selected markets from Q3 2011.
*Water resistant – the phone can be kept under 1m of water for 30 mins.
Fredrik Månsson, Global Product Marketing Manager, Sony Ericsson said: “Xperia active is the ultimate smartphone for an active life. Not only is it packed with all the features and applications consumers need for a worry free mobile life, it also comes with a set of accessories that make it fun and easy for them to take it everywhere, whatever their daily plans are.”
Maria Sharapova, a three time grand slam winning tennis player added: “I love this smartphone because it perfectly fits both my professional and personal needs. It keeps me in touch with my friends as I travel the world on the pro tour and tracks my fitness both on and off the court.”
What, you didn’t hear? White is the new greeen.
Extras included in the box to further build the consumer experience:
• One extra exchangeable soft touch back cover • Detachable ear hooks for the portable handsfree active headset • Wrist strap to keep the phone close at all times • An arm case for use during a workout • 2GB memory card to save all your special moments • Micro USB cable for charging and computer data transfer
Sony Ericsson Xperia active at a glance
*Please note that all services mentioned below may not be available in every market.
• Orange band with black back cover – white extra cover in the kit • White band with black back cover – white extra cover in the kit
• Operating system: Google Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) • Size: 55 x 92 x 16.5mm • Weight: 110.8 grams
• 5 megapixel camera • 8x digital zoom • Auto focus • Aperture f/2.6 • Face detection • Face recognition • Flash/Photo light • Flash/LED • Geo tagging • HD video recording (720p) • Image stabiliser • Red-eye reduction • Scene detection • Self-timer • Send to web • Smile detection • Touch capture • Touch focus • Video light • Video recording
• Album art • Bluetooth stereo (A2DP) • Media player • Music tones (MP3/AAC) • PlayNow service* • Sony Ericsson Music Player • TrackID music recognition*
• Android Market* • Bookmarks • Google search • Google Voice Search* • NeoReader barcode scanner • Pan & zoom • Web browser (WebKit)
• Call list • Conference calls • Facebook application* • Google Talk • Noise Shield • Polyphonic ringtones • Skype** • Sony Ericsson Timescape • Speakerphone • Twitter (Timescape integration)* • Vibrating alert • Messaging • Conversations • Email • Google Mail* • Instant messaging • Multimedia messaging (MMS) • Predictive text input • Sound recorder • Text messaging (SMS)
• Auto rotation • Four-corner Home screen • Keyboard (on-screen, 12 key) • Picture wallpaper • Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine • Touch screen • Live wallpaper • Dust and water resistant • Wet finger tracking
• 3D games • Health mate • Media browser • Motion gaming • Radio (FM radio with RDS) • Radio (FM) • Video streaming • Video viewing • Walk Mate • YouTube*
• Alarm clock • Calculator • Calendar • Document readers • eCompass • E-Manual • Flight mode • Google Calendar • Google Gallery 3D* • Infinite button • iMapMyFitness • Phonebook • Setup guide • Stopwatch** • Tasks** • Timer** • Torch functionality • Widget manager
• 3.5 mm audio jack • aGPS* • Bluetooth technology • DLNA Certified • Google Latitude* • Google Maps for Mobile • Google Maps with Street View* • Media Transfer Protocol support • Micro USB support • Modem • Native USB tethering • Pressure sensor*** • Synchronisation via Facebook* • Synchronisation via Google Sync* • Synchronisation via Sony Ericsson Sync • Synchronisation with computer • Synchronisation via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync • USB mass storage • USB High speed 2.0 support • USB support • Wi-Fi • Wi-Fi Hotspot functionality • Wisepilot turn-by-turn navigation*
• Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine • 16,777,216 colour TFT • Capacitive touchscreen (multi-touch) with wet finger tracking • 3 inches • 320 x 480 pixels • Scratch-resistant mineral glass
• Phone memory (user-free): Up to 320MB • Memory card support: microSD, up to 32GB • Memory card included: 2GB microSD
• Talk time GSM/GPRS: Up to 4 hrs 53 min* • Standby time GSM/GPRS: Up to 351 hrs* • Talk time UMTS: Up to 5 hrs 31 min* • Standby time UMTS: Up to 335 hrs* • Music listening time: Up to 25 hrs • Video playback time: Up to 8 hrs 30 min *According to GSM Association Battery Life Measurement Technique. Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configurations, and phone usage.
• UMTS HSPA 900, 2100 • GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 • UMTS HSPA 800, 1900, 2100 • GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
In the kit
• Xperia active • 1200mah removable battery • Sport stereo headset • Arm case • Wrist strap • 2GB microsd memory card • Exchangeable cover • Charger • Micro USB cable for charging • Synchronisation and file transfer, and user documentation
* This service is not available in all markets. ** This feature is not pre-installed. *** Enhance your GPS navigation by for example measuring the height levels or to be used as barometer to provide you your local weather forecast.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.