.

According to the latest Nielsen survey, Google is dominating the Travel Mobile Apps usage space, which in turn represents 95 percent of travel smartphone usage (the other 5 percent being mobile web usage—which Google also dominates). The numbers below show Google’s Maps app on both Android and iOS (to be clear the Maps app on iOS is built by Apple and pre-iOS 6 uses Google’s map tiles).

It will be interesting to see what happens to this data when Apple’s iOS6 goes final next month and all of those iOS users use Apple’s maps by default. I anticipate a major slide unless Google presents a compelling Maps application for iOS that keeps Apple users coming back for more.

.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.


Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more news:

You’re reading 9to5Google — experts who break news about Google and its surrounding ecosystem, day after day. Be sure to check out our homepage for all the latest news, and follow 9to5Google on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to stay in the loop. Don’t know where to start? Check out our exclusive stories, reviews, how-tos, and subscribe to our YouTube channel

About the Author