The Amazon Appstore for Android is officially celebrating its first birthday, and to celebrate it is offering 50 percent off or more on some favorite apps and giving away eight Kindle Fires. As for the apps, new apps will be revealed each day (two on Day Two, three on Day Three, etc.) during the week-long celebration starting with today’s app: Plants vs. Zombies for Kindle Fire on sale for 99 cents. Amazon also decided to share some stats for the relatively new store, which now includes over 31,000 apps up from just 4,000 at launch. The press release noted the “Free App of the Day” promotion has offered nearly a $1,000 worth of apps to users since launch. Amazon also highlighted a few more stats from the store (below).
If you are interested in entering the sweepstakes to win one of the eight Kindle Fires, you can get all the official details here. Go past the break for Amazon’s Top Paid and Top Free app charts for the last 12 months.
- Amazon Appstore has grown its selection nearly eight-fold since launch, from 4,000 apps to over 31,000.
- In its first year, the most downloaded paid app in the Amazon Appstore was Cut the Rope, followed by Angry Birds (Ad-Free) and Where’s My Water?; the most downloaded free app was Angry Birds Free, followed by Netflix and Solitaire by MobilityWare.
- Amazon Appstore offers a paid app for free every day. If a customer had downloaded every Free App of the Day since launch, they would have saved nearly $1,000.
- The paid app with the most 5-star reviews in the first year of the Amazon Appstore was Where’s My Water?, with over 3,000; the free app with the most 5-star reviews was Blood & Glory, with over 4,000.
- In the Amazon Appstore’s first year, customers spent more than 7,700,000 minutes test driving apps; Bubble Buster was the most test-driven app, followed by Amazon MP3 for Android with Cloud Player and Memory Trainer.
- Over the past year, the most popular app category for customers is games, followed by entertainment and productivity. Some of the most popular apps include Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja,Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, QuickOffice Pro, CalenGoo and Exchange by TouchDown.
Top Paid Apps (over the last 12 months)
1. Cut the Rope
2. Angry Birds (Ad-Free)
3. Where’s My Water?
4. Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)
5. Angry Birds Seasons (Ad-Free)
6. Plants vs. Zombies (Kindle Fire Edition)
7. Fruit Ninja
8. SCRABBLE (Kindle Fire Edition)
9. UNO (Kindle Fire Edition)
Top Free Apps (over the last 12 months)
1. Angry Birds Free
4. Fruit Ninja Free
5. Angry Birds Seasons Free
6. Bubble Buster
7. Little Piano Free
8. Roller Lite
10. Hangman Free
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.