Samsung just announced the new dual-SIM Galaxy S Duos with Android 4.0.
The 4-inch handset boasts a WVGA 480-by-800 display and a 5-megapixel rear-shooting camera, but users who travel often or juggle multiple phones will mostly love its ability to toggle SIM cards. The dual-SIM functionality essentially lets users connect two phone numbers to a single phone, while the “Always on” feature allows them to receive calls on one SIM number while answering a call from the other line. The Galaxy S Duos further supports various billing plans for each SIM.
A few of the additional specs mentioned in the press release include “rounded edges and smooth ceramic-like finish,” 1GHz processor, 1500mAh battery, and 4GB of on-board storage. The Galaxy S Duos is eyeing a September launch starting in Europe with a rollout scheduled for other territories, and The Verge noted an LTE version, with possibly different internal specs, is coming down the pipeline.
Let’s hope the Galaxy S Duos marks an industry-wide transition to multi-SIM smartphones. It would certainly be interesting to see all the carriers simultaneously fight for usage on a single device.
The full press release is below.
- Leak roundup: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 pictured every which way? (9to5google.com)
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus disappears from Google Play store this evening (9to5google.com)
- Samsung unveiling Galaxy Note sequel August 29 (9to5google.com)
- Samsung hits 10 million Galaxy S3 smartphones sold…in about 50 days (9to5google.com)
- Juggle Work and Play in Style with Samsung GALAXY S DUOS
- August 20, 2012
- A new addition to GALAXY smartphone range delivers versatility and high performance for always-on productivity and fun
- Seoul, Korea – August 20, 2012 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a global leader in digital media and digital convergence technologies, today introduced the Samsung GALAXY S DUOS, the latest addition to the GALAXY smartphone family designed for active young professionals. The GALAXY S DUOS will be available from September starting in Europe and rolled out across other territories.
- Samsung’s new Android 4.0-powered smartphone is ideal for users who balance fast-paced work and social lifestyles. The GALAXY S DUOS offers all the style and high-end performance users expect from GALAXY smartphones. It also affords the convenience of Dual SIM access, giving the smartphone added communication flexibility.
- The Samsung GALAXY S DUOS combines high-end performance with total communication flexibility owing to its Dual SIM functionality, which allows users to manage two phone numbers from a single phone. Its unique ‘Dual SIM Always on’ feature allows you to receive calls on one SIM number while taking a call from the other, ensuring that you can manage both personal and work commitments without ever missing a call. You also have the flexibility of selecting different billing plans for either SIM, switching between them at your convenience.
- The GALAXYS S DUOS doesn’t compromise on style or performance. Its rounded edges and smooth ceramic-like finish give it a classy, sophisticated appearance. Its 1GHz processor and 1500mAh battery allow for breezy multi-tasking across the most demanding applications, while the 4GB of on-board storage provides ample space for your favourite images and videos. Its capabilities are boosted by the exciting new features of Android 4.0, which include stunning graphics and upgraded menu systems for easier browsing and navigation.
- The GALAXY S DUOS’s social and entertainment options are equally impressive. Its generous 4-inch display offers a comfortable viewing experience whether browsing online, reading emails or flicking through photos, and is perfect for watching video or enjoying images taken with the phone’s 5MP camera. The preloaded Samsung’s ChatON communication service, which connects all phone users into a single community, provides easy instant messaging, group chatting and content sharing in multiple formats—images, video, voice, contacts—to make mobile messaging incredibly simple and intuitive.