The Starbucks app on Android has always been on the forefront of mobile payment and technology features, and this evening, the app has received an update making it even more useful for customers. Bumping the app to version 2.7, the update today adds a handful of new features, including the ability to pay tips digitally and shake your phone to pay.
The ability to tip your barista with your phone is one of the most useful features of the update, although it applies only to corporate owned stores in the United States. You can leave tips for up to two hours after your original purchase, although you will be reminded immediately after your purchase, as well. The new “Payments” screen shows you the rewards you have earned, in addition to your tip and purchase history.
The Shake To Pay feature comes in handy only if you plan to pay with a predetermined card, but does work relatively well. Finally, there is also a new widget for your homescreen, showing your available balance and buttons to view rewards information and nearest locations.
- Digital Tipping (U.S. company-operated stores): Leave a digital tip up to two hours after your Starbucks Card purchase.
- Shake to Pay: For added convenience, simply shake your device to display your favorite Starbucks Card.
- Rewards List on Payment Screen: See all available rewards and offers on your barcode screen. Now highly visible at time of payment.
- Integrated History: See your account history in a single view.
- Widget: Choose from 1×2, 1×3 or 1×4 widget for your home screen.
The update is available now on the Play Store.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.