Despite their October release, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL launched with the September security patch. Thankfully, Google’s latest devices are now finally up-to-date thanks to the November patch that is also rolling out to the original Pixel devices and older Nexus ones.
We’re in the process of installing these updates to see what fixes Google implemented with the November security patch and will report back with the results. Canadian carrier Rogers does cite the presence of “bug fixes.”
There are 11 issues resolved in the security patch dated 2017-11-01 and 11 in the 2017-11-05 one. This month there is also a third patch level date for 2017-11-06 with 9 resolved bugs likely relating to the KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerability disclosed several weeks ago.
Meanwhile, the dedicated bulletin for Google’s phones and tablets lists 53 additional fixes on top of the latter 2017-11-06 patch. Of note, this bulletin features a new “Functional updates” section that list non-security related fixes.
Vulnerabilities range from moderate to critical, with the most severe possibly enabling remote code execution when browsing, using email, or MMS. However, Google notes that there are no reports of customers being affected by these security issues.
- Pixel 2 XL: Android 8.0 — OPD1.170816.025 (EMR), OPD3.170816.023 (Verizon EMR) — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel 2: Android 8.0 — OPD1.170816.018, OPD2.170816.015 (DTAG), OPD3.170816.016 (Verizon), OPD1.170816.025 (EMR), OPD3.170816.023 (Verizon EMR) — Factory Image (2) (3) (4) (5)— OTA (2) (3) (4) (5)
- Pixel XL: Android 8.0 — OPR1.170623.032 (Fi/Canada), OPR3.170623.013, — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel: Android 8.0 — OPR1.170623.032 (Fi/Canada), OPR3.170623.013, — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel C: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.032 — Factory Image — OTA
- Nexus 6P: Android 8.0 —OPR5.170623.011 — Factory Image — OTA
- Nexus 5X: Android 8.0 —OPR6.170623.023 — Factory Image — OTA
- Nexus Player: Android 8.0 — OPR2.170623.027— Factory Image — OTA
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.