Today Google officially released Android Nougat 7.1.1 for the Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, and several Nexus devices. With the over the air firmware update file now out in the wild, you can sideload the update instead of waiting for it to eventually come to your device…
Below you will find a brief tutorial on how to sideload the latest version of Android onto your Pixel or Nexus device. If you need a more in-depth step-by-step walkthrough on how to setup ADB and prepare your handset for sideloading, check out our guide here.
Before we get started, make sure to head on over to our earlier article that links to all of the OTA update files which can be found here. Once you have the correct file for your Pixel or Nexus device, follow the steps below to sideload the newest version of Android.
How to sideload Android 7.1.1:
- Turn off your device, or if you have ADB running, run the command “adb reboot bootloader” and skip step 2
- Press and hold the Power button and Volume down button at the same time until you see the bootloader screen
- Use the Volume down button until the Recovery mode option is shown and press the Power button to select it
- Your device will look like it is rebooting. Wait until you see an image of an Android with a red caution sign over it and the words No command are shown onscreen
- Press down the Power button for a second and then without letting it go, press the Volume up button
- Scroll down to the Apply update from ADB option by using the Volume buttons and select it with the Power button
- If you haven’t already, plug your phone into a computer with the required ADB programs running
- On your computer type in the command “adb sideload <filename>” with ‘filename’ being the update zip file made specifically for your handset that you downloaded earlier. If run properly, your phone will begin to install the update after checking that the update was made and is compatible with your device
- When done, use the Power button to select Reboot system now to finish the installation and boot up your phone normally