After recently posting its I/O registration page to announce that registration for its annual I/O developers conference will open on March 13, Google today posted some more information about the upcoming event. In a blog post on the Google Developers Blog, Google noted that it has updated the I/O 2013 site with new info on registering, travel, events, and FAQs. It is has also posted information about the addition of subsidized childcare options at this year’s event.
Google’s updated I/O site includes a “Travel” section with a Google map for navigating to Moscone West in San Francisco, an “About” section with info on events such as the keynote and developer sessions, and a help page with FAQs. Something new at Google I/O this year is childcare:
We are excited to announce that this year Google I/O will offer nearby child care to conference attendees at a subsidized cost. When completing your registration form, please indicate if you are interested in child care services and, if so, tell us the number of children you want to have cared for. Once registration closes, we will contact you to gather more information and provide specific details on child care.
Google once again provided some tips for registration and outlined details specific to academic and international attendees:
Before registration opens:
- Make sure you have set up both a Google+ account and a Google Wallet account. If you’ve ever bought anything on Google Play, you already have Google Wallet.
- Check your Google Wallet settings to make sure your postal address is complete and accurate, and your payment method is correct and up to date.
- If this will be the first time you’re making a large payment with Google Wallet, you may want to notify your bank or credit card company in advance that you plan to make a $900 (general ticket) or $300 (academic ticket) charge that will appear as GOOGLE*IORegistration. This will help ensure your payment is processed.
- Be on the site before registration opens on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM PDT (GMT-7) so you can sign in to your Google+ account.
Once registration opens on March 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM PDT (GMT-7):
- When you’re placed on the waiting page, don’t refresh your browser or your ticket search will restart.
- Please don’t open multiple tabs or use multiple browsers. Each time you open a new connection, your ticket search will restart.
Details for academic attendees
To qualify as an academic attendee (and receive the $300 ticket price) you need to be an active full-time student, professor, faculty or staff at a high school or higher education institution. The academic rate is also available to anyone who graduated in 2013 prior to the event.
To verify that you are qualified to receive the special rate, we will require a current school ID, transcripts, credentials, or other forms of documentation when you check in at the conference. A couple of other important things to note:
Once purchased, general admission tickets can’t be converted to academic tickets, and vice versa.
If you buy an academic ticket and can’t provide academic documentation when you arrive at Google I/O, you won’t be admitted or offered a refund, nor will you be able to convert your ticket to general admission.