Mashable has learned that Google is planning to kill two of its biggest branded products and merge them into Google branded services in the next six weeks.
According to two sources familiar with the matter, Google intends to rename Picasa “Google Photos” and Blogger will become “Google Blogs.” Several other Google brands are likely to be affected, though our sources made it clear that YouTube would not be rebranded.
Mashable notes that the move isn’t without precedent – Grandcentral became Google Voice, Jotspot became Sites, etc. etc.
Blogger (co-founded by Evan Williams of Twitter) was acquired in 2003 and is one of the top 10 most visited websites in the world. Picasa is also a very popular service acquired in 2004.
Both services will likely be tied in with Google’s new Plus Social Network. It would be surprising to see Picnik survive as a separate product. ‘Google Photo Editor’ anyone?
- Picasa’s storage limits thanks to Google+ (9to5google.com)
- Google’s Android app for renting movies imminent (video) (9to5google.com)
- Free storage limits – Picasa for Google+ users (picasa.google.com)
- Google Takeout lets you pull your data out of the cloud (9to5google.com)
- How Google+ Transformed Picasa Web (googlesystem.blogspot.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.