In this week’s top stories: The latest OnePlus 3 news comes alongside our first look at an upcoming Batman-themed Galaxy S7 Edge from Samsung. A handful of Google apps received notable updates this week, as did a US field test for the much anticipated Pokémon GO mobile game arriving this summer. And Google exec Eric Schmidt makes some noise with comments about Galaxy S7 being better than iPhone in our latest Talking Schmidt. Head below for the usual handy links to these top stories and more.
Best iPhone, iPad, & Apple TV game controllers
Alphabet | GOOG
We kick things off this week with our latest Talking Schmidt installment in which Google exec Eric Schmidt expresses his thoughts on Galaxy S7 being a better device than iPhone, despite being an iPhone 6s user himself. And another Google exec made comments this week about current high-end phones likely not being up to spec for use with its new Daydream VR platform.
- Talking Schmidt: I use an iPhone 6s, but the Galaxy S7 is better and iPhone users know it
- Google chief: Current high-end phones likely won’t be Daydream VR-ready
- Jury rules in favor of Google in Oracle trial over Java use in Android
As always, Android device news makes up many of our most shared stories from this week. Most notably, we get a look at the upcoming Batman themed, gold-plated Galaxy S7 Edge, as well as the latest on the OnePlus 3 and its “Loop VR” headset announced this week. And one of our top shared Android device stories was news that Nexus devices could soon get access to unlimited original quality image & video backup in Google Photos.
- Nexus devices reportedly getting unlimited original quality image & video backup in Google Photos
- Samsung’s Batman-themed Galaxy S7 Edge includes a gold plated Batarang
- ZTE Axon 7 goes official with up to 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 820 chip and 2K screen, costs just $450
- OnePlus announces Loop VR headset, says OnePlus 3 will be “the world’s first global shopping experience in VR
- Current phones like Nexus 6P, Galaxy S7 and HTC 10 won’t get Android N’s seamless updates feature
- Korean report suggests next Samsung phablet will skip Note 6, be named Galaxy Note 7 instead
- Report: Google pressuring OEMs and carriers to speed up Android updates, security patches
- OnePlus 2 and OnePlus X get permanent price drops ahead of OP3 launch
- OnePlus 3 specs rumored to include 5.5-inch 1080p screen (again), 64GB storage and Snapdragon 820
- Leaked images show Lenovo’s upcoming MotoMods for the Moto Z [Update]
Android Wear |
We move on to some Android Wear news, including our list of Android Wear watches getting the Android Wear 2.0 update, before finishing off with our top videos and the latest new apps and updates.
- List of Android Wear watches getting the Android Wear 2.0 update
- Samsung will no longer make Android Wear devices, all in with Tizen OS [Update]
- Opinion: Google’s Project Soli could solve one of the biggest problems with Android Wear
- Twitter is A/B testing an automatic night mode in latest alpha version on Android
- Chrome 51 now in stable channel with new Credential Management API for improved sign in
- Pokémon GO Field Test starts today in the US, more gameplay and mechanics details
- Google Photos on the web adds batch date & time editing of images
- Google app on iOS gets faster load times, AMP articles in search, keyboard shortcuts, more
- Opinion: Google’s future is in AI, but Chrome OS getting the Play Store is a big deal today
- Desktop Google Search redesign places Knowledge Graph results inline, displays links in cards
- Get two months free Google Play Music premium by using TripAdvisor app
- Google Text-to-speech can now read aloud highlighted text from any app
This week’s top videos |
- Take a look at Samsung’s insane Galaxy S7 edge billboard [Video]
- Samsung’s awesome rollable screen prototype [Video]
- Google makes most I/O developer session videos available in handy playlist
Subscribe to get all 9to5Google’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.