In this week’s top stories: Our Google Home review, our first impressions with the Huawei Mate 9, we take a look at the best apps using Android Nougat’s Quick Settings tiles so far, and much more.
We kick things off with the latest Android news including our hands-on and unboxing of the new Huawei Mate 9 in our top videos. Stephen gives you a full review of Google Home as it goes on sale this week. And Google’s director of security claims Android is as secure as iOS on the iPhone (and soon to be better).
We move onto app news and give you a rundown of the best apps already using the Android Nougat Quick Settings tiles. The Project Fi companion app adds real-time date usage alerts and updates. Hangouts 14.0 brings app shortcuts, but no GIF image keyboard. And Acer’s new R13 Chromebook gets support for Android apps in beta.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories and videos below:
- Someone dropped the bezel-less Xiaomi Mi Mix, and as you’d expect, it wasn’t pretty…
- PSA: T-Mobile’s half-off Pixel offer applies for T-Mobile ONE and Unlimited Simple Choice customers
- Samsung Gear S3 pops up on Best Buy before pre-orders, Gear Manager app updated ahead of launch
- Some Nexus 6P owners are reporting battery failure issues on Android Nougat
- ASUS ZenWatch 3 is now available straight from ASUS’ website for $229
- Report: Google Pixel adoption surpassing Nexus 6P in first week, but constrained by supply
- Here’s what Huawei’s Nougat-based EMUI 5.0 running on the Huawei Mate 9 looks like [Gallery]
- Firmware keeping Nexus 5X/6P from supporting Pixel fingerprint gesture (U: Google evaluating)
- Android is as secure as iOS on the iPhone, says Google’s director of security
- Here are some of the best apps using Android Nougat’s Quick Settings tiles so far
- Some Harry Potter magic is coming to your Android phone w/ Google’s voice commands, Maps & Daydream
- Project Fi companion app adds real-time date usage alerts and updates
- How to bring fingerprint sensor quick actions from Pixel and Huawei to your device
- Hangouts 14.0 updated with app shortcuts, but no GIF image keyboard
- Acer’s new R13 Chromebook now supports Android apps in the Chrome OS beta channel
- Chrome Dev on Android adds ‘Chrome Home,’ moves address bar and tab switcher to bottom of screen
This week’s top videos:
- Google Home Review: A solid start, but not yet as capable as its Echo archenemy [Video]
- Unboxing the Huawei Mate 9 [Video]
- People love the Pixel camera’s low-light and EIS capabilities, shown off in these two new clips [Video]
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.