Google’s Android TV platform hasn’t seen too much adoption, but with the addition of Google Assistant later this year and fantastic hardware like the Nvidia Shield TV, Xiaomi Mi Box, and LeEco 4K HDR TVs, the future of the platform is looking bright. Android TV is a very flexible OS, but the homescreen is one of the more restricted. The layout is pretty standard across devices, but one thing you can change up is the way your homescreen is organized.
For most Android TV devices, the process to change up your homescreen will be the same. However, there are some minor exceptions. For example, on Xiaomi’s Mi Box, the “Mi Box Recommends” section of apps can’t be rearranged, although it can be disabled.
To rearrange your icons on Android TV, first, you’ll need to head to the homescreen itself and perform the following steps.
- Long-press the enter button on your remote on the app of your choice
- Once the screen changes to the “customization mode,” move the app to the desired location
- To lock in the new location, de-select the app by pressing the enter button
- You can now re-select another app and move it to a desired location.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until your layout is as you prefer
- Press “Done” to save
If you’re looking to pick up an Android TV set-top box or TV, we’ve covered several options here on 9to5Google, and we’re also in the process of reviewing the new Nvidia Shield TV. You can stay tuned to our Android TV guide for the latest news on the platform as well.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.