Despite recent reports from the Associated Press and The New York Times saying that Trump moved on from his personal Samsung Galaxy phone, the latter publication has now published a piece saying that the President of the United States is still using his old Android phone — the one he has long been known to tweet from. The publication says that Donald Trump is still using “his old, unsecured Android phone, to the protests of some of his aides.”
Everyone can use an Echo Dot: Just $50!
Just last week, AP reported that Trump “told a friend that he had given up his phone, as security agencies had urged him to do.” And NYT said a day prior that Trump was now using “a secure, encrypted device approved by the Secret Service with a new number that few people possess.”
But it looks like that might not be the whole truth. Here’s the relevant piece of the latest NYT story:
Mr. Trump’s wife, Melania, went back to New York on Sunday night with their 10-year-old son, Barron, and so Mr. Trump has the television — and his old, unsecured Android phone, to the protests of some of his aides — to keep him company. That was the case after 9 p.m. on Tuesday, when Mr. Trump appeared to be reacting to Bill O’Reilly’s show on Fox News, which was airing a feature on crime in Chicago.
Looking at his personal Twitter account, it’s still obvious that his tweets are coming from “Twitter for Android,” although that’s not exactly conclusive proof that the phone he’s using to send them is the same one as before. Tweets from his new, official @POTUS account, however, are coming from Twitter for iPhone.
Regardless, with his constant criticism of Hillary Clinton for using unsecured email servers, you would think that Trump would be more careful about not exposing himself to possible security breaches by continuing to use a personal device as President.