For the most part, Nvidia has been pretty good about keeping its Android devices up to date. Just a couple of weeks after debuting the fantastic new Nvidia Shield TV, it updated the former model with that new software. Today, that trend continues with a major update to its collection of tablets, with Android Nougat rolling out over the coming days.
The best gifts for Android users
Shield Experience 5.0 brings along with it Android 7.0 Nougat, which of course includes features like split-screen multitasking and improved standby battery life with improvements to Doze. Further, Nvidia highlights the custom quick settings tiles, “Quick Switch” to go back and forth between apps with a double tap of the recents button, and the “clear all” option in the recents menu.
Further, the update brings the company’s tablets up to December’s security patch level, which, while not the most up to date, is certainly a welcome update.
Along with that, Nvidia has made its tablets compatible with the new Shield controller in this update which is available for purchase for $59 on Amazon. For gamers, that’s a fantastic touch, as the updated Shield controller offers a much more ergonomic experience. Last, Nvidia has added an exclusive loyalty program to the tablet, “Shield Rewards.” The company has yet to reveal exactly what this program will offer customers.
SHIELD Controller (2017) Support
- Updates to SHIELD controller support
New Multitasking Features
- Split-screen: Run two apps side by side* in Portrait or Landscape modes
- Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to quickly switch back to the last opened app
- Multiple notifications from the same app are now bundled for a streamlined experience
- Reply to messages directly from within the notification*
- Tap and hold on a notification to quickly silence or block notifications from the app
Improved Power Consumption
- Doze on the Go: Doze is now smarter & kicks in even when the device is being carried around
- Includes all-new Unicode 9 emojis
- Display & Font size can now separately adjustable to improve readability or screenspace
- Quick Settings can now be customized directly from the menu by tapping “Edit”
- The top Quick Setting tiles can now be accessed with a downward swipe from the lock screen
- Settings now includes a Navigation Menu & Suggestions to improve usability
- The “Clear all” option in Overview have been relocated to the top right
System wide improvements including
- New Data Saver: when enabled, limits access to Cellular data for background apps
- New JIT compiler: improves the speed of App & System updates
- Update to Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2016
SHIELD Rewards Program
- Introducing SHIELD Rewards, the exclusive loyalty program for SHIELD owners
*App compatibility could vary, requires App to be updated with support for the feature