Last month, Nougat surpassed the three-year old Lollipop to become the second most used version of Android. In the February distribution numbers, Android 7.0/7.1 is finally on top, while Oreo continues its very slow ascent.

Android 8.0 Oreo sees a small jump to .8% after remaining stagnant in January, while 8.1 is now at .3%. Both combine to finally reach 1%, but there is obviously still a long climb ahead.

To aid in that, there were some Oreo updates in the past month, including for the Moto X4, Huawei Mate 9, and OnePlus 5T.

Meanwhile, Samsung’s update is coming soon with the company recently ending its beta program and detailing upcoming changes. Meanwhile, Essential said that it is holding off on updating the PH-1 until Android 8.1.

Meanwhile, Android 7.0 rose 1.2 points to 22.3%, while 7.1 saw a 1 point increase to 6.2%. The two combine for a total of 28.5% and trump last month’s 26.3%, while surpassing Marshmallow to become the most used version of Android.

Marshmallow fell .5 percentage points to 28.1%, with Lollipop 5.0 and 5.1 merging for 24.6%. KitKat is at 12.0% and Jelly Bean fell to 5%. Meanwhile, Ice Cream Sandwich is at .4% and Gingerbread at .3%

These numbers are compiled from Android devices that accessed the Play Store during a seven-day period ending on February 5th.

Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more news:

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more news:

You’re reading 9to5Google — experts who break news about Google and its surrounding ecosystem, day after day. Be sure to check out our homepage for all the latest news, and follow 9to5Google on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to stay in the loop. Don’t know where to start? Check out our exclusive stories, reviews, how-tos, and subscribe to our YouTube channel

About the Author

Abner Li

Editor-in-chief. Interested in the minutiae of Google and Alphabet. Tips/talk: