NVIDIA released the refreshed SHIELD Tablet K1 last month, and now it’s getting a huge software update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The biggest additions here are nothing new — they’ve been hitting devices since Marshmallow first started rolling out to the Nexus line earlier this year — but there are a few things unique to the K1…
This update for SHIELD Tablet K1 upgrades the Operating System to Android version 6.0
NVIDIA SHIELD Camera
- New UI inspired by Material Design, improved burst photo functionality
- Adds new real-time HD Image Effects
Now on Tap
- Quickly find information related to what you are seeing on the screen, also from inside an app
Adoptable Storage MicroSD cards can be integrated with main internal storage, auto managed by system
User Interface Upgrades
- Personalize Home & Lock screens with different wallpapers, new NVIDIA wallpapers
- Personalize Quick Settings menu, add/remove, rearrange toggles
- Google Now voice commands can be launched from lock screen
Improved App Permissions
- Permissions are now managed centrally
- App Standby power improvements
- Improved BT Low Energy scanning power efficiency
System wide improvements including
- Monitor Memory Usage with detailed usage of each app
- Optimized preloaded apps
- Adds Fallout Shelter game
IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING A MICROSD CARD IN THIS SHIELD TABLET: In Android 6.0 there are changes to how expanded storage works. After this upgrade, there will be 2 ways to setup the MicroSD card, please read carefully: Portable Storage: This option will not delete data from the SD card Internal Storage: This option wipes all data from the SD card. If you are currently storing data the SD card, please make sure it is first backed up NVIDIA recommends to back up the MicroSD card prior to downloading this update
Most notable besides the Marshmallow features, you’ll see in this change log that NVIDIA has revamped the NVIDIA camera app with a more Material-y user interface, there’s a bunch of new wallpapers, preloaded apps have been optimized, and more. Speaking of preloaded apps, NVIDIA has curiously decided to make the Fallout Shelter game a preloaded app.
The 8-inch NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1 has a Tegra K1 quad-core processor (which is clocked at 2.2GHz), and great graphics thanks to a Kepler GPU. There’s a pair of front-facing speakers for a cinematic media consumption experience, a 5-megapixel front camera and a typical 5-megapixel camera on the back (both of which have HDR). Finally, there’s 2GB RAM and 16GB of expandable storage.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.