Pocket Edition Stories April 13, 2016
Pocket Edition Stories May 26, 2015
Minecraft Pocket Edition for Android updated w/ skins, fishing, and much more
Mojang today announced a huge update to its popular Minecraft Pocket Edition app for Android devices. The big focus of the update is access to new free and paid skins for characters (as pictured above):
Skins are the way you change the appearance of your Minecraft character. Instead of looking like Alex or Steve, you can roll with a different vibe, like a butcher, dog, or plumber. Skins are purely cosmetic – they don’t affect the way the game plays or give you any special abilities.
Paid skins are available to purchase in bundles, but users can also upload or create their own as well as find free skins within the game. You’ll get around 20 skins for $0.99/€0.79/£0.79 if you opt for the paid bundles.
The update also includes other improvements and new features including the ability to fish and a long list of new animals. The full list of what’s new is below:
- Multiple language support
- Boats with space for two! Take your pet for a pleasant ride.
- The ability to throw stuff from boats, including snowballs and eggs
- Fishing! Now you can fish for fishies!
- Spider jockeys!
- Cave Spiders!
- Adorable baby zombies!
- Weird chicken jockeys!
- Edible clownfish. Yum!
- A fancy new World Edit screen so you can rename worlds, change game modes and do other things
- Creative players can no longer be set on fire. Controversial
- We’ve stopped cheeky chickens from walking on water
- Animals can no longer breed without touching each other ooh err
- Drinking milk now removes mob effects
- Ridiculous amounts of bug fixes
- More cool things that you should discover for yourself
You can grab the updated Minecraft Pocket Edition on Google Play soon.
Pocket Edition Stories July 10, 2014
Minecraft Pocket Edition gets biggest update yet w/ infinite worlds & much more
Minecraft Pocket Edition, the Android version of the popular Minecraft PC game, today is getting what developer Mojang says is the app’s biggest update yet. Version 0.9.0 introduces a number of new features carried over from the original game including infinite worlds, much improved caves, wolves, new items, and much, much more.
In addition, Mojang is bringing over new biomes from the PC version of the game with mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills, and you’ll also notice abandoned mineshafts, villages and “new feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms.” That doesn’t even include a fraction of what’s actually included in today’s update. A full list of new features from new blocks to new and updated features for biomes, mobs, AI and feature generation is below.
The game also receives some welcomed UI tweaks in the update including a new “interaction” button that Mojang hopes will cut down on accidental sheep punches.
Infinite worlds! Caves! Loads of new blocks and items including Monster Eggs and huge mushroom blocks. Wolves! Tame a loyal companion. Loads of new flowers! So pretty. New mobs, including the spooky endermen and less spooky Mooshrooms. New biomes from the PC version, including mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills. Abandoned mineshafts, villages, and many other cool places to explore. A brand-new “interaction” button. Never accidentally punch a sheep again! New feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms. Many bugs fixed, and possibly a few added.
The updated Minecraft Pocket Edition version 0.9.0 is available now on Google Play now.
The full huge list of what’s new via Mojang is below:
- Unlimited worlds!
- New culling algorithm
- New culling of clouds
- Tile entities are saved differently
- New falling mechanics for gravel and sand
- New insta ticking of water and lava
- Huge mushroom blocks
- End portal frame
- Double plants
- More stairs/slabs for new wood types
- New log types (savanna tree and dark oak)
- New leafs (savanna tree)
- Monster egg
- Stained clay
- New flowers
- Red sand
- Hardened clay
- End stone
- Emerald block
- Emerald ore
- New leveldb based saving format
- New entity handling
- New crafting screen
- Remade network code (mostly the same packages but new system).
- New interact button (to make the game easier for new players)
New and updated biomes
- Extreme hills
- Redwood taiga
- Roofed forests
- Mushroom island
- Deep ocean
New world feature generation
- Ice patch
- Ice spike
- Double plants
- Ground bushes
- Fancy oaks
- Jungle tree
- Mega jungle tree
- Mega pine tree
- Savanna tree
- Swamp tree
- Huge mushroom
- Dead bush
- Monster rooms
- Desert well
- Fallen logs
- Emerald ore
Tweaks to caves
- Lava at the bottom of caves
- Caves in desert and mesa
- Abandoned mine shafts
- Flat world generation
- Limited world generation
- “New” mob spawning
- Updated light generation
- Grass color for different biomes
- Foliage color for different biomes
- Water color for swamps
- New leaf rendering
- Added more spawn eggs in Creative Mode
- Added immersive mode for Android
- Added drip particles for water and lava
- Updated create world screen
Tweaks and bug fixes
- Correct name for stairs, slabs and spawn eggs
- Beds no longer gives full health in normal difficulty
- Smooth lighting added for:
- Smooth lighting removed for:
- Jack ‘o’ lanterns
- Improved performance of TNT
- Prettier clouds
- The fog is darker underground
- The block highlight flickers (z-fights) when more than 10k blocks distant from spawn
- Changing the view distance while in a world might crash the game
- If players walk too far from each other in multiplayer, they can’t see each other
Known bugs requiring attention
- Multiplayer is a bit fragile. Please test it and report all issues to us!
- The LevelDB save format + upgrading of old maps. Please report any data corruption!
- Crashes in general – uncommon and random crashes might still happen