YouTube videos often get millions or even billions of views, but the hit game Minecraft has hit a new milestone this year. Combined, all videos about Minecraft on YouTube have surpassed a whopping one trillion views on the platform.
Minecraft Stories December 15, 2021
Minecraft Stories September 20, 2019
After Hours: Twitter tests hiding replies in the US, Minecraft character creator, more
Twitter tests a new way to keep conversations healthy in the U.S. Meanwhile in gaming news, Minecraft picks up a Character Creation tool, and the Nintendo 3DS emulator Citra is reportedly coming to Android.
Minecraft Stories April 11, 2017
Minecraft: Pocket Edition update brings Chinese Mythology Pack and more
Minecraft Pocket Edition for Android is getting an update today that brings a new Chinese Mythology Mash-Up Pack and more. Included in the pack are 26 new skins, texture sets, and other goodies:
Minecraft Stories April 13, 2016
Minecraft Stories October 15, 2015
Minecraft: Story Mode launches on Android with a new multi-episode campaign mode
After enjoying one of the most successful multi-platform runs in recent memory, Minecraft is back again with its newly released Story Mode title on Android and iOS, as well as other platforms. This new rendition, from Telltale Games, builds on the success of the original title by bringing campaign-style play to the mix.
Jesse, the main character, adventures through the Overworld in the first episode The Order of the Stone. For the first time, Minecraft gamers will experience dialogue and have choices that effect the outcome of each episode. The voice-overs are handled by a number of celebrities including Patton Oswald, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter and others. There are a total of five sections to the game, which can be purchased at a 25% discount through the app.
THE ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME IN THE WORLD OF MINECRAFT
***Save over 25% on additional episodes in Minecraft: Story Mode by purchasing the Multi-Pack [Episodes 2-5] via in-app***
In this five part episodic series, you’ll embark on a perilous adventure across the Overworld, through the Nether, to the End, and beyond. You and your friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect; slayers of the Ender Dragon. While at EnderCon in hopes of meeting Gabriel the Warrior, you and your friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and you must set out on a quest to find The Order of the Stone if you are to save your world from oblivion.
• Created by award-winning adventure game powerhouse Telltale Games, in partnership with Minecraft creators, Mojang
• Featuring the voices of Patton Oswalt (Ratatouille, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D), Brian Posehn (The Sarah Silverman Program, Mission Hill), Ashley Johnson (The Last of Us, Tales from the Borderlands), Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights, X-Men), Martha Plimpton (The Goonies, Raising Hope), Dave Fennoy (The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series, Batman: Arkham Knight), Corey Feldman (The Goonies, Stand by Me), Billy West (Futurama, Adventure Time), and Paul Reubens (Tron: Uprising, Pee-Wee’s Playhouse)
• You will drive the story through the decisions you make: what you say to people (and how you say it), and what you choose to do in moments of thrilling action will make this YOUR story
Minecraft Stories July 23, 2015
Kamcord, a popular platform that lets game developers add gameplay recording features to their mobile apps, is today taking its first step into live streaming. The move is a notable one as competitors such as live game streaming service Twitch, now owned by Amazon, move into the mobile space and live streaming apps like Periscope and Meerkat begin to gain traction among users. expand full story
Minecraft Stories May 26, 2015
Minecraft Pocket Edition for Android updated w/ skins, fishing, and much more
Mojang today announced a huge update to its popular Minecraft Pocket Edition app for Android devices. The big focus of the update is access to new free and paid skins for characters (as pictured above):
Skins are the way you change the appearance of your Minecraft character. Instead of looking like Alex or Steve, you can roll with a different vibe, like a butcher, dog, or plumber. Skins are purely cosmetic – they don’t affect the way the game plays or give you any special abilities.
Paid skins are available to purchase in bundles, but users can also upload or create their own as well as find free skins within the game. You’ll get around 20 skins for $0.99/€0.79/£0.79 if you opt for the paid bundles.
The update also includes other improvements and new features including the ability to fish and a long list of new animals. The full list of what’s new is below:
- Multiple language support
- Boats with space for two! Take your pet for a pleasant ride.
- The ability to throw stuff from boats, including snowballs and eggs
- Fishing! Now you can fish for fishies!
- Spider jockeys!
- Cave Spiders!
- Adorable baby zombies!
- Weird chicken jockeys!
- Edible clownfish. Yum!
- A fancy new World Edit screen so you can rename worlds, change game modes and do other things
- Creative players can no longer be set on fire. Controversial
- We’ve stopped cheeky chickens from walking on water
- Animals can no longer breed without touching each other ooh err
- Drinking milk now removes mob effects
- Ridiculous amounts of bug fixes
- More cool things that you should discover for yourself
You can grab the updated Minecraft Pocket Edition on Google Play soon.
Minecraft Stories December 11, 2014
Minecraft maker Mojang finally releases ‘Scrolls’ for Android tablets
It’s been a long time coming, but the maker of the famed Minecraft has released its much-anticipated card-collecting game, Scrolls. It’s been about 18 months since the game first entered beta, but during that time Mojang has spent countless hours perfecting the card-based strategy game that intends to give players an experience that mashes both card trading and board games into one medieval-themed adventure.
Here are the game’s main features according to the app’s description:
A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE: Building your army is only half the battle. Develop strategies and take control of the battlefield. The best bits of card and board games, combined. BUILD YOUR ARMY: We currently feature over 350 scrolls spread across 4 unique factions. You can mix and match them as you please. PLAY SOLO, OR WITH FRIENDS: Scrolls includes single player challenges along with online competitive and casual play. CHAT AND TRADE: Trade with other scrolldiers on the black market, or spend your hard-earned gold in our store. Chat with other players both in and out of battle. Please be nice. CROSS PLATFORM: Develop your skills and scrolls library by playing on Tablet, PC, or Mac. Battle with others, no matter which platform they’re playing on. JUDGEMENT MODE: Build a unique deck in Judgement mode, then see how it fares against other’s creations.
The game is available today on the Play Store to download for free, but freemium content is available in-game ranging in price from $4.99 to $19.99 per item—and unlocking the full version of the game is going to run you that $4.99 price tag. Additionally, the game is available for Mac and PC and you can try it out for free as long as you have a Mojang account. Anyone who participated in Alpha or Beta testing of the game, or purchased Scrolls at any point in the past, will get the full version for free.
Mojang has said that an iPad version is also on its way, but won’t be available until sometime in 2015.
Here’s a gallery of screenshots:
Minecraft Stories July 17, 2014
Amazon shares its first ad for the Fire Phone
Amazon’s Fire Phone is officially set to be released on July 25th, but the company has just shared the first ad for the device. Instead of focusing on the device’s unique features like the Firefly button or Dynamic Perspective, the ad focuses entirely on the fact that the phone comes with a free year of Amazon Prime.
Minecraft Stories July 10, 2014
Minecraft Pocket Edition gets biggest update yet w/ infinite worlds & much more
Minecraft Pocket Edition, the Android version of the popular Minecraft PC game, today is getting what developer Mojang says is the app’s biggest update yet. Version 0.9.0 introduces a number of new features carried over from the original game including infinite worlds, much improved caves, wolves, new items, and much, much more.
In addition, Mojang is bringing over new biomes from the PC version of the game with mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills, and you’ll also notice abandoned mineshafts, villages and “new feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms.” That doesn’t even include a fraction of what’s actually included in today’s update. A full list of new features from new blocks to new and updated features for biomes, mobs, AI and feature generation is below.
The game also receives some welcomed UI tweaks in the update including a new “interaction” button that Mojang hopes will cut down on accidental sheep punches.
Infinite worlds! Caves! Loads of new blocks and items including Monster Eggs and huge mushroom blocks. Wolves! Tame a loyal companion. Loads of new flowers! So pretty. New mobs, including the spooky endermen and less spooky Mooshrooms. New biomes from the PC version, including mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills. Abandoned mineshafts, villages, and many other cool places to explore. A brand-new “interaction” button. Never accidentally punch a sheep again! New feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms. Many bugs fixed, and possibly a few added.
The updated Minecraft Pocket Edition version 0.9.0 is available now on Google Play now.
The full huge list of what’s new via Mojang is below:
- Unlimited worlds!
- New culling algorithm
- New culling of clouds
- Tile entities are saved differently
- New falling mechanics for gravel and sand
- New insta ticking of water and lava
- Huge mushroom blocks
- End portal frame
- Double plants
- More stairs/slabs for new wood types
- New log types (savanna tree and dark oak)
- New leafs (savanna tree)
- Monster egg
- Stained clay
- New flowers
- Red sand
- Hardened clay
- End stone
- Emerald block
- Emerald ore
- New leveldb based saving format
- New entity handling
- New crafting screen
- Remade network code (mostly the same packages but new system).
- New interact button (to make the game easier for new players)
New and updated biomes
- Extreme hills
- Redwood taiga
- Roofed forests
- Mushroom island
- Deep ocean
New world feature generation
- Ice patch
- Ice spike
- Double plants
- Ground bushes
- Fancy oaks
- Jungle tree
- Mega jungle tree
- Mega pine tree
- Savanna tree
- Swamp tree
- Huge mushroom
- Dead bush
- Monster rooms
- Desert well
- Fallen logs
- Emerald ore
Tweaks to caves
- Lava at the bottom of caves
- Caves in desert and mesa
- Abandoned mine shafts
- Flat world generation
- Limited world generation
- “New” mob spawning
- Updated light generation
- Grass color for different biomes
- Foliage color for different biomes
- Water color for swamps
- New leaf rendering
- Added more spawn eggs in Creative Mode
- Added immersive mode for Android
- Added drip particles for water and lava
- Updated create world screen
Tweaks and bug fixes
- Correct name for stairs, slabs and spawn eggs
- Beds no longer gives full health in normal difficulty
- Smooth lighting added for:
- Smooth lighting removed for:
- Jack ‘o’ lanterns
- Improved performance of TNT
- Prettier clouds
- The fog is darker underground
- The block highlight flickers (z-fights) when more than 10k blocks distant from spawn
- Changing the view distance while in a world might crash the game
- If players walk too far from each other in multiplayer, they can’t see each other
Known bugs requiring attention
- Multiplayer is a bit fragile. Please test it and report all issues to us!
- The LevelDB save format + upgrading of old maps. Please report any data corruption!
- Crashes in general – uncommon and random crashes might still happen