Android 4.0.4 was leaked early for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and —of course— in typical fashion, a user at the XDA-Developers Forums made a guide available to install the update. The update will presumably be rolling out over-the-air to the masses soon, but if you are up to the challenge, you can install it early with some trickery. Obviously, it is not for the feint-of-heart.
Android 4.0.4 brings many necessary updates, according to the unofficial change log posted on XDA. The update brings noticeably faster speeds, battery stats bug fixed, new radios, improved signal strength, a new power menu, faster boot time, increased volume, keyboard fixes, improved quick controls in the browser, updated News and Weather app, and much more. You can read the full unofficial change log after the break.
Update: One of our commenters (“Eddy”) gave us more insight into after the install.
I updated to 4.0.4 last night via CWM. I can confirm that, although root is initially broke after the update, you can use Wug’s GNexus Root Toolkit to re-root and flash CWM again.
Visit the XDA-Developers forum to access the guide on installing.
Unofficial change log:
- Noticeably Faster
- Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
- Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
- New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don’t even notice it changing.
- Improved signal strength
- New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
- PRIMELA03 Bootloader
- Faster boot up time
- Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
- Holding down camera button now refocuses again
- Multitouch issue seems resolved. Screenshot here
- Autorotate is faster
- Browser performance noticeably improved
- Recent apps list opens faster
- Miscellaneous camera UI changes
- Increased volume
- Keyboard fixes
- Updated News & Weather app UI
- Improved quick controls in browser. New when coming from 4.0.2. Present in 4.0.3. Screenshot here (Update: 02/05)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.