After a plethora of leaks, LG has today made its 2017 flagship smartphone official. As the Korean company’s long-awaited followup to the LG G5 (which, as we all know, didn’t do so well), the LG G6 has a lot to make up for. Based on what we’re seeing so far, though, it might just accomplish that…
As we’ve noted in several leaks, the LG G6’s biggest departure from the company’s long history of smartphones is the new almost-bezel-less display, which cuts the size of the device to nearly that of the LG G5 which had a significantly smaller display at 5.3-inches compared to the 5.7-inch panel in the G6. LG says that the screen to body ratio for the G6 comes in at 80% compared to just over 70% on the G5.
The display on the LG G6 is a QHD+ IPS FullVision panel with an 18:9 aspect ratio (2880×1440), slightly taller than that of your standard smartphone screen. The company says that the added screen real estate gives users an improved experience when texting, web browsing, and playing games. Further, the aspect ratio is quite a bit closer to that of most movies, and since it’s 2:1, apps used in multi-window will each occupy a perfect square on screen.
As for other specifications, LG has packed the G6 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of UFS 2.0 storage with a microSD card slot, a 32-bit Quad DAC, a rear mounted fingerprint sensor/power button, and Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. On top of Nougat, LG also has its new UX 6.0 skin on top which brings along a handful of new features and slight tweaks to the overall appearance compared to LG’s UI on the V20.
Baked into that software is also Google Assistant, making the LG G6 the first device outside of Google’s duo of Pixel devices to bring along the feature. LG hasn’t altered Assistant compared to how it appears on the Pixel, but the company does say that it “works seamlessly and intuitively with LG apps, empowering users to get fast answers, manage everyday tasks, enjoy the best music and video, and search the device more quickly and efficiently than ever.” We’ll soon know exactly what that means.
Along with that, the G6’s glass/metal build is also rated for IP68 protection against water and dust, and has also passed 14 different military-standard 810G tests against rain, humidity, fog, temperature, and more. LG also points out that the phone’s 3,300 mAh battery has undergone its own set of tests including impact testing, charging condition testing, and reliability tests. The phone also offers Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
As for the cameras, LG has included two sensors on the rear of the phone, very similar to the the LG V20. The primary sensor is 13MP with f/1.8 and a 71-degree field of view with OIS. The other sensor is also 13MP, but at f/2.4 and with a 125-degree field of view. The front camera is a 5MP sensor at f/2.2 with a 100-degree field of view.
LG has yet to reveal pricing or availability details for the G6, but we do know that the phone will release in three colors: Ice Platinum, Mystic White, and the previously leaked Astro Black. Stay tuned for further coverage of the LG G6 over the coming days right here on 9to5Google.
LG G6: Big Screen, Small Phone: The LG G6 is the big screen that actually fits in your hand. It packs a surprisingly large 5.7″ display in an attractive phone that’s easy to hold. And, unlike other phones with similar screen sizes, this one fits comfortably in one hand, allowing you to have a big screen experience without the inconvenience of a big phone.
- The surprisingly sleek design of the LG G6 features a 5.7″ display with a unique 18:9 aspect ratio.
- The QHD+ resolution is enhanced by Dolby Vision to give you a more authentic cinematic viewing experience.
- This FullVision display is made possible by the 80% screen to body ratio that is complemented by narrow bezels, sculpted from aluminum and glass (comes in platinum and black).
- The LG G6’s FullVision display gives you more to see – and less to hold – on your screen when texting, web browsing and gaming.
Get More in, Leave Nothing Out: With the LG G6, you don’t need to ask your subjects to reposition, cram together, or find another place to stand in order to get everything in. Simply choose between standard and wide angle settings.
- The Wide Angle capabilities of the rear and front cameras allow you to capture photos and videos with a wider perspective – for more friends or more inclusive scenic shots.
- Expand your selfie experience and get the bigger picture no matter what the subject!
Capture the Big Picture: You can capture life’s breathtaking views with the Dual 13MP rear cameras in the LG G6 and with its 125° lens on the wide angle, you can capture panoramic shots that regular phone cameras can’t.
- The standard camera delivers razor-sharp detail and optical image stabilization.
- And you can enjoy smooth zoom transition between the two rear cameras as well.
Square Up and Share: You can have more fun with photos and videos using one of the four different Square Camera Modes on the LG G6.
- The 18:9 display saves time and hassle by enabling a quick review of past photos while lining up the next shot at the same time.
- Combine two photos into one, or create 2×2 photo/video grids to share with friends.
- And take full advantage of the multiple cameras by capturing different shots at the same time.
Built for the Unexpected: You can worry less about accidental drops and other rough environments during everyday use because the LG G6 has been designed and built to be dependable even when the going gets rough.
- The LG G6 has passed 14 different military-standard 810G tests (rain, fog, humidity, temperature tests and more)*
*International battery testing standard includes 130-degree Celsius hot box testing, impact testing, charging condition testing. LG’s additional testing includes 140-degree Celsius, nail penetration testing and reliability testing during production.
Transform Your Mobile Viewing Experience with Dolby Vision™: The LG G6 with Dolby Vision™* transforms your mobile viewing experience with incredible brightness, contrast and color. Coupled with the 18:9 ratio QHD+ display, the LG G6 produces immersive, more authentic cinematic viewing.
- *Video content must be created in Dolby Vision™ or HDR10 to take advantage of HDR playback.
Water and Dust Resistant: You can take the LG G6 just about anywhere without worry thanks to its IP68 water and dust resistance that makes it safe to be immersed in up to one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
Tested to a Higher Standard: The LG G6 is not only built to meet international battery testing standards but also features a proprietary heat dissipation technology to help reduce device temperature.
A Helping Voice with Google Assistant: Voice-activated Google Assistant works effortlessly with the LG G6 and is ready to help in those times when you need a hand but can’t spare one.
- The LG G6 is the first phone to launch with the Google Assistant built-in.
- Google Assistant works seamlessly and intuitively with LG apps, empowering users to get fast answers, manage everyday tasks, enjoy the best music and video, and search the device more quickly and efficiently than ever.