Android 8.0 officially had its Oreo moniker unveiled yesterday, and with the latest version of the Android OS now out of the Developer Preview stage and rolling out to all consumers (at least those with Pixel and Nexus devices), more people than ever are getting to sink their teeth into everything Oreo has to offer. However, thanks to a tweet from Android’s VP of Engineering, it looks like one more Android Oreo addition is still in the pipeline..
David Burke took to Twitter earlier today to say there’s “one more sweet surprise” coming for 8.0 Oreo. Burke didn’t give any explanation as to what this will actually be, but he noted that developers will be able to learn more at some point next week.
Although Android 8.0 Oreo isn’t the most visually refreshed update we’ve ever seen, it’s still chock-full of new features. There’s the big hitters like Picture-in-Picture and adaptive icons that we’ve known about for months, and then there are more recent discoveries like Rescue Party for helping to battle against device bootloops.
We aren’t sure what this mystery surprise is or when it’ll be announced, and seeing as how Burke is targeting this towards developers, it likely won’t be anything consumer-facing. Even so, we’re still interested to see what Oreo-related addition is on its way.
More Android 8.0 Oreo Stories:
- Rescue Party is a feature in Android 8.0 Oreo that helps to stop device bootloops
- LastPass launches public beta, introduces support for Android O’s autofill APIs
- Hands-on: New features in Android 8.0 Oreo incl. new app shortcuts, revamped notifications, picture-in-picture, more [Video]
- How to install Android O factory images on Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, and Pixel C
- Android Oreo day: Mountain View statue, promo video, actual Android Oreos