Samsung’s Active series of smartphones have primarily been exclusive to AT&T since its debut. Now, after a few generations, that’s changing, as the company has announced that the ultra-rugged Galaxy S8 Active will be making its way to T-Mobile and Sprint later this month…
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
If you need a refresher, the Galaxy S8 Active is basically Samsung’s flagship Galaxy S8 but in a military-grade casing and with a flat display. These two changes make it less susceptible to damage thanks to the rubber bumpers rather than curved glass on the front and back of the handset.
Internally, the Galaxy S8 Active is powered by the same Snapdragon 835 CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 4,000mAh battery. Additionally, the phone keeps the flagship-quality 12MP camera sensor, capable of capturing some of the best photos on any smartphone.
For those of you who wish to purchase the S8 Active on T-Mobile or Sprint, Samsung only states that the handset will be available “later this month.” We also don’t know how much either mobile carrier will sell the smartphone for or if they will offer any promotions. Currently, the S8 Active is available from AT&T on contract or unlocked from Samsung for $850.
Below is Samsung’s complete press release:
Samsung’s Galaxy S8 Active Expands to Sprint and T-Mobile
Featuring military-grade durability and a long-lasting 4000mAh battery, the Galaxy S8 Active extends availability starting in November
RIDGEFIELD PARK, NJ – Nov. 7, 2017 – Samsung Electronics America, Inc. today announced the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, previously only on AT&T, will now be available through Sprint and T-Mobile in Meteor Gray starting this month. The Galaxy S8 Active delivers military-grade durability with a long-lasting battery to get the most out of your day and the performance you expect from a Galaxy S smartphone.
The Galaxy S8 Active features:
- Military-grade durability – Engineered from high-strength aluminum and protective bumpers for military-grade durability, the shock, shatter, and dust and water-resistant Galaxy S8 Active withstands tough hits and falls.
- Shatter-resistant screen – This device features a shatter-resistant screen that protects against accidental drops while delivering the bright, vivid colors of the 5.8-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED Display.
- Long-lasting battery – The Galaxy S8 Active contains a large, long-lasting 4,000 mAh battery that can go more than a day of usage on a single charge. With Samsung’s most advanced fast charge and fast wireless charge6 capabilities, you can quickly and conveniently power up to get on with your day.
- Powerful performance – Featuring a 10nm processor, the device enables heightened speed and efficiency. It’s gigabit LTE ready, with support for up to 1 Gbps, so you can download files wherever your daily adventures take you.
- Advanced camera – The advanced Dual Pixel 12MP F1.7 rear camera and 8MP F1.7 Smart autofocus front camera deliver bright and sharp photos, even in low-light conditions.
- Meet Bixby – Bixby is a smarter way to use your Galaxy S8 Active and helps you get more done. It makes it easier to navigate through select apps, services and settings with a combination of voice commands and touch. Voice capabilities allow you to do many things normally done with touch, such as completing simple tasks like turning on the flashlight, taking a screen shot or a selfie. You can use the camera to identify landmarks, translate foreign languages or shop for products online right from the phone.
- Activity Zone – With a simple swipe to the right of the home screen or the press of the Bixby button, Bixby greets you with quick access to active lifestyle features such as a stopwatch, barometer, compass, and flashlight.
- Government-trusted Security – The Galaxy S8 Active is secured from the chip up with Samsung Knox, the defense-grade mobile security platform designed to protect the integrity of the device. Samsung Knox8 has become a trusted and robust security solution with 29 governments trusting it to secure their workforce. It also offers a selection of biometric features such as fingerprint and iris scanners.