Google Play system updates occasionally lag behind the current month, with the Pixel 6 and 7 series starting to see the January 2023 release today after skipping December entirely.
The Pixel 7 series had been on the November 1, 2022, build for the past two or so months. It received a handful of updates in the hundreds of kilobytes since the initial release, but not the December release.
This update comes in at 63MB (on a Pixel 7 Pro) and takes you to January 1, 2023. Our 7 Pro happens to be on Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2.1, with a Pixel 7 on the stable January security patch not seeing a download yet this afternoon. That said, there are several other reports this afternoon.
- December Google Play System Updates: Digital driver’s license beta, Find My Device expansion
- January Google System Updates: Matter QR scanner, Play Games profile revamp, more
The Pixel 6 series, including 6a, has been in the same boat and is getting a 58MB update today. You have to restart your device for it to install after the quick download and install process.
In other related occurrences, the unified Security & privacy hub has still not widely rolled out to Android 13 QPR2 Beta users. Those on a stable release do not have this issue.
More on Pixel 7:
- Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 6a add support for 5G networks in India with QPR2 update
- Pixel 7 bug sees phone freeze when watching fullscreen YouTube and YouTube TV
- Review: Pela cases for Google Pixel 7 offer dozens of designs and a comfortable feel
- Pixel 7 gets seven fixes and additions with January 2023 update
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.