Google Offers will sponsor free Wi-Fi in New York City this summer starting today.
The sponsorship is possible through an agreement with Boingo Wireless. New Yorkers and tourists can now access free Internet at six subway stations and over 200 Boingo hotzones around the borough of Manhattan. The Wi-Fi coverage extends below street level and will last through Sep. 7.
“New Yorkers using the complimentary Wi-Fi services can check out deals from local businesses from Google Offers when they connect at Boingo hotzones throughout the city and at the following subway stations with wireless networks deployed by Transit Wireless,” explained the press release.
Google Offers is an infant deal-of-the-day website that caters localized savings to major geographic markets in the United States. It is the first sponsor of Boingo Wi-Fi, so today’s news is clearly a brand campaign for Google. However, Boingo will also benefit by expanding its initiative. The wireless tech plans to reach 36 subway stations by the end of 2012, with over 270 stations getting access by 2017, to create “a distributed advertising and sponsorship network reaching the subway system’s more than 1.6 billion annual passengers.”
Boingo Wi-Fi is already available at New York-area airports, retail centers, sports venues, hotels, fast food restaurants, and more.
The press release below.
- Google becomes landlord to CornellNYC Tech during 5-year deal set to encourage engineering
- Google Offers app now available on iPhone for US users
- Google’s VP of Product talks Flipboard integration and enterprise, demos Hangouts on iPad [Audio]
- T-Mobile signs AWS spectrum agreement with Verizon
- Boingo Announces Summer of Free Wi-Fi in NYC, Sponsored by Google Offers
- Free Wi-Fi Available at Six Manhattan Subway Stations and More Than 200 Boingo Hotzones
- NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Boingo Wireless (NASDAQ:WIFI), the Wi-Fi industry’s leading provider of software and services worldwide, announced today that Google Offers is sponsoring free Wi-Fi across New York City. Big Apple visitors and New York straphangers on the go can stay productive, update their status and surf online while avoiding data overage charges and network congestion via Boingo’s Wi-Fi networks from June 25 through September 7, 2012.
- “We’re excited to bring free Wi-Fi to subway stations and Boingo hotzones in Manhattan. People can surf the Internet, or discover great local deals from Google Offers, while they’re waiting at the subway platform or enjoying summer in the Big Apple.”
- Starting today, people can access Wi-Fi hotspots for free in select New York City subway stations and at Boingo hotzones across Manhattan, courtesy of Google Offers—the Google service that delivers great deals at the best places to eat, shop and play in New York City and 39 other cities across the U.S.
- “Since launching Google Offers in NYC a year ago, we’ve worked with hundreds of local businesses to bring great, personalized deals to New Yorkers who want to make the most of their city, ” said Cliff Hopkins, director of marketing, Google Offers. “We’re excited to bring free Wi-Fi to subway stations and Boingo hotzones in Manhattan. People can surf the Internet, or discover great local deals from Google Offers, while they’re waiting at the subway platform or enjoying summer in the Big Apple.”
- “Google Offers and Boingo want to help New Yorkers get to the fun part faster, whether that is an amazing deal on dinner and a movie, or a quality Wi-Fi connection to their email or the latest viral video,” said Dawn Callahan, vice president of consumer marketing for Boingo Wireless. “Free Wi-Fi sponsored by Google Offers makes it easy for everyone to get their Internet on this summer via Boingo’s network across Manhattan.”
- “We’re glad our riders will be able to access free Wi-Fi this summer in six subway stations to stay connected while they’re underground,” said MTA director of strategic initiatives Jerome Page. “Reliable Wi-Fi is an important benefit for straphangers in New York City subway stations.”
- “Thanks to Google Offers, straphangers can enjoy the convenience of free Boingo Wi-Fi service this summer,” said Transit Wireless CEO William A. Bayne Jr. “Working with the MTA and Boingo Wireless, we have created a highly reliable wireless system which continues our commitment to make New York City subway riders the most connected people on the planet.”
- New Yorkers using the complimentary Wi-Fi services can check out deals from local businesses from Google Offers when they connect at Boingo hotzones throughout the city and at the following subway stations with wireless networks deployed by Transit Wireless:
- A, C, E station at Eighth Avenue and West 14th Street
- L station at Eighth Avenue and West 14th Street
- C, E station at Eighth Avenue and West 23rd Street
- 1, 2, 3 station at Seventh Avenue and West 14th Street
- F, M station at Sixth Avenue and West 14th Street
- L station at Sixth Avenue and West 14th Street
- Google Offers is the first sponsor of Boingo Wi-Fi in New York subway stations. Through its partnership with Transit Wireless, exclusive wireless service provider to the MTA, Boingo Wi-Fi will be available in 36 New York subway stations by the end of the year, including Times Square, Rockefeller Center and Columbus Circle. Over the next five years, Boingo Wi-Fi will be available on all 270+ New York subway stations, creating a distributed advertising and sponsorship network addressing the subway system’s more than 1.6 billion annual passengers.
- About Boingo Wireless
- Boingo Wireless, Inc. (NASDAQ: WIFI), the world’s leading Wi-Fi software and services provider, makes it easy, convenient and cost-effective for people to enjoy Wi-Fi access on their laptop or mobile device at more than 500,000 hotspots worldwide. With a single account, Boingo users can access the mobile internet via Boingo Network locations that include the top airports around the world, major hotel chains, cafés and coffee shops, restaurants, convention centers and metropolitan hot zones. Boingo through its Concourse Communications Group subsidiary operates wireless networks at large-scale venues worldwide such as airports, major sporting arenas, malls, and convention centers, as well as quick serve restaurants. For more information about Boingo, please visit http://www.boingo.com.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.