On the homescreen, Google Photos and YouTube Music will be rolling out extra-large widgets. The streaming service sees album/playlist artwork appear at the left, while you get a 4×2 grid of additional suggestions on the right. Meanwhile, the Photos widget will show a wide landscape image from your library.
Since iOS 14’s launch last fall, Google has introduced widgets for key apps–with the widgets for Photos making their way to Android in August amid a renewed focus in Android 12:
- Android 12 Beta 5: Material You clock widgets have arrived
- Calendar gets tweaked widgets with Material You redesign
- Google Drive’s Material You redesign adds that quirky, bulbous X-shaped widget
- Upcoming Google Keep redesign brings the best Material You widget to date [Gallery]
Google says its apps will be updated to “work with Focus mode,” as well as to “make notifications as relevant and timely as possible.” You’ll always get alerts for Google Maps navigation, Tasks reminders, Home doorbell notifications, and other important ones from Gmail:
But notifications that aren’t as urgent or don’t require immediate action will go right to the Notifications Center, where you can check them whenever is most convenient for you.
Lastly, Google Drive and YouTube Music results will appear in Spotlight search. Google’s iOS 15 updates are rolling out now and will be fully available in the coming weeks.
More Google for iOS:
- Google Maps dark theme officially coming to iPhone this month
- Fi brings its built-in VPN to iPhone users [Update: Now available]
- Search iOS widgets can now be themed with backgrounds that update daily
- Google Voice for iOS adds ‘Suggested Contacts’ widget, Shortcuts support
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.