IMDb, the unofficial resume for everyone and everything Hollywood, just announced its iOS and Android apps have experienced more than 40 million total downloads. The Android counterpart for tablets and smartphones claimed half of those downloads, and IMDb is celebrating with today’s launch of “highly anticipated discovery, personalization and social features.”
The app’s latest version now includes:
- – Sharing – check in on Facebook & Twitter to share what you’re watching
- – Recommendations – discover other titles you might be interested in
- – Mobile IMDb message boards – join in the discussion on your Android phone or tablet
- – Filming locations & soundtracks – learn even more about the movies you love
- – Similar titles – discover new movies and TV shows
- Metacritic – now see both the IMDb user rating of a title as well as how the film critics scored it
- – Amazon login – log in using your Amazon account
The IMDb Movies & TV app is a free app at the Google Play store. It rates 4.5-stars as of press time.
The press release is below.
- Report: For every 3 Android apps built, there are 7 for iOS (9to5google.com)
- Google announces Chrome for iPhone & iPad, coming to App Store today (9to5google.com)
- Amazon is building a phone to compete with iOS and Android (9to5google.com)
- Google Drive comes to iOS and Chrome OS (9to5google.com)
- IMDb’s iOS and Android Apps Have Now Been Downloaded More Than 40 Million Times
- Just-Launched Updates to IMDb’s Movies & TV Apps for iOS and Android Include Most Requested Discovery, Personalization and Social Features
- SEATTLE, Jul 12, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) — IMDb, the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content, today announced that its popular Movies & TV apps for iOS and Android have each been downloaded more than 20 million times for a total of more than 40 million. Over the last 5 months, monthly visits to IMDb’s mobile optimized website and apps have exceeded 150 million per month. Additionally, IMDb announced the launch of highly anticipated discovery, personalization and social features for its iOS and Android apps, including mobile-optimized message boards, check-ins, similarities, film locations and soundtracks. To learn more and download IMDb’s free apps, go to: http://www.imdb.com/apps/
- “Today’s announcement reflects growing customer demand for discovery, personalization and social functionality on their favorite mobile apps,” said Col Needham, IMDb’s founder and CEO. “Given that IMDb.com’s message boards generate more than 2.5 billion page views annually, it’s no surprise that mobile-optimized message boards were our #1 customer request. Beginning today, more than 40 million movie, TV and celebrity fans — and counting — will enjoy mobile message boards, check-ins, similarities and more when using IMDb’s apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.”
- Additionally, IMDb’s app for iOS has an improved TV experience, making it even easier to find and share the latest episodes. Users of IMDb’s app for Android devices can now log in using their Amazon account information. Other popular IMDb.com features available in IMDb’s Android app update include personalized recommendations, Metacritic and movie locations (fans can now see the locations of their favorite movies and then directly open a map to visit them).
- To learn more and download IMDb’s free apps, go to: http://www.imdb.com/apps/
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.