The decision comes as no surprise after EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said back in May that he was “almost 100 percent certain” to reject the proposals, in which Google’s key offers were to clearly separate organic results from sponsored links and to provide links to at least three rival search services in its results …
“I concluded that the proposals that Google sent to us are not enough to overcome our concerns,” European Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia told a news conference on Wednesday, adding that he has asked Google to present better proposals.
Almunia has written to Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt asking for an improved response. It’s not known whether any deadline has been set, but Almunia has previously indicated that he wanted the matter settled by the end of the year. Google potentially faces fives of up to $5B if it fails to submit proposals which receive EU approvals.