Back in October, Google announced the first hardware revision of its Glass product and that it would be available to current Explorers this year. Tonight, our own Seth Weintraub received his invitation to reserve the new revision of Glass for himself. Users who receive the invitation have until February 5th to make their decision on whether to upgrade or not. Should you choose to upgrade, you must fill out the form from Google and choose what color you would like the unit to be. The process is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so don’t wait too long to make your decision.
Once the updated unit is available, Google will send you a return box and return label for your original pair of Glass. After you send it back, your new and improved unit should arrive within a 3-5 days. It’s unclear when exactly Google will begin sending out the return boxes to Explorers.
As far as what’s new with this hardware revision of Glass, Google says that these units are made to support upcoming prescription lenses, and also include a new mono earbud.
Glass users who purchased Glass before October 28, 2013 are eligible to upgrade their units, so be on the lookout for an email to hit your inbox soon. Read the full invitation after the break..
Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4K Monitor
As one of our first Explorers, you’ve helped make Glass what it is today. We’ve been listening and learning, and we’ve made some improvements, including some changes to make Glass compatible with future versions of prescription frames.
As a “thank you” for all your help, we’re offering you a one-time swap to take advantage of these changes. Simply send us your device, and we’ll replace it with a brand new Glass.
A few things to keep in mind:
- The new Glass you receive is still going to be an Explorer Edition… just an updated one.
- While you don’t have to swap, we think you should. We’re designing for the newer version, so future accessories or features may not work on the Glass you have today.
- The offer to exchange your older Glass for a newer one will expire on February 5th, 2014.
How it works:
- Complete this form to let us know if you’d like to swap or not. This reserves your “spot in line” – swaps will be first-come, first-served for each color.
- We’ll get in touch when your new Glass is ready, and send you a return box with a pre-paid return label. Remember, we ship to and from US addresses only.
- Package and ship your old Glass in the return box.
- Your new Glass will be delivered 3-5 days after we receive your old Glass.
- If you gifted your device, please call 1-800-GLASS-XE (have your unique customer ID ready) so we can update your account information.
- Still have questions? Check out our FAQ.
We get that you might be a little sad to part with your Glass; you’ve been through a lot together. So, we’re going to make sure that your old Glass is duly honored when you send it back. Stay tuned…
‘Tis the season, The Glass Team