Chinese handset maker Huawei took the stage in Beijing today to introduce its next-generation flagship smartphone, the familiar sounding Honor 6 Plus. The all-new device, which has an unforgivably similar name to the iPhone 6 Plus, has a sleek, metallic design and takes on HTC with dual 8-megapixel rear-facing cameras and another 8-megapixel front-facing camera for added measure.
Engadget reports that the dual-lens Honor 6 Plus is capable of boosting the pixel size to 1.98 microns for improved sensitivity and cleaner looking images, rivaling HTC’s 2-micron UltraPixels. The handset is no slouch under the hood, either, packing a 5.5-inch 1080p JDI negative LCD display, Huawei’s custom Kirin 925 octa-core chipset and low-power I3 coprocessor, 3GB of RAM, up to 32GB internal storage, NFC, a 3,600 mAh battery and more.
Another interesting feature of the Honor 6 Plus is a built-in infrared transmitter for controlling things like your TV, Hi-Fi system and air conditioner. The smartphone runs a highly custom Android ROM called EMUI 3.0 that includes some screen-off features like double-clicking the volume-down button to take a photo and double-clicking the volume-up button to record a voice memo. Huawei is also including 100GB of lifetime cloud storage with the phone for free.
The Honor 6 Plus starts at CN¥1,999 or about $320 unsubsidized, although the base model is only 16GB and lacks both LTE and NFC chips. The LTE-equipped version is CN¥2,499 or about $400 and is available in an exclusive gold color alongside the traditional black and white offerings. While not a bad smartphone for its price, it’s unlikely we’ll ever see the Honor 6 Plus have much of a splash in the Western world.
Huawei Honor 6 Plus Tech Specifications
- 5.5-inch 1080p JDI negative LCD display
- Huawei-made custom Kirin 925 octa-core chipset
- Low-power I3 coprocessor for fitness tracking
- Dual 8-megapixel rear-facing cameras
- 8-megapixel front-facing camera
- 3GB of RAM
- 16GB or 32GB internal storage
- Up to 128GB expandable storage through microSD slot
- NFC and LTE chips included on premium model
- 3,600 mAh battery
- Built-in infrared transmitter for controlling TV and Hi-Fi system
- Highly customized EMUI 3.0 Android ROM
- 100GB lifetime cloud storage included
- Free access to over 8 million Wi-Fi hotspots in China and elsewhere
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.