Almost a week ago we told you that the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced it was working with Samsung on the details to initiate an official recall of the company’s flagship phablet, and today that recall has finally come to fruition…
Last week, the CPSC said in a statement that customers should power down, not charge, and stop using their Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and the commission is reiterating that point today, as part of the official “remedy”:
Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note7 devices purchased before September 15, 2016. Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased your device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device. Go to www.samsung.com for more details.
The CPSC also provides us with the latest numbers on damage caused by Galaxy Note 7 devices, apparently totalling the number of reports at 92, with 26 reports of physical burns:
Samsung has received 92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S., including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage.
Another interesting tidbit is that the total number of units affected is approximately 1 million. That’s a lot of phones. But to put things in perspective, Apple sold more than 13 million iPhone 6s and 6s Plus units in the first weekend of those phones being available.
If you still have yet to actually swap out your Note 7 (or just get a refund, and maybe go with the LG V20), then you… should probably do that. The CPSC has provided a list of carriers and retailers that are facilitating the recall — along with their contact information — and you can get some more details on that here.