YouTube TV’s previous contract for NBC channels was set to expire at midnight Eastern time, but the two companies have agreed to a “short extension.”
Just under an hour before the deadline, an NBCUniversal spokesperson issued the following statement to 9to5Google:
NBCUniversal and YouTube TV have agreed to a short extension while parties continue talks. NBCUniversal will not go dark on YouTube TV at midnight eastern tonight.
There’s an ongoing San Francisco Giants vs. Arizona Diamondbacks baseball game that was set to be impacted (NBC Sports Bay Area) by the contract breakdown. Without this extension — which is typical during disputes that come down to the wire, that channel along with close to 20 others, including your local NBC station, would have disappeared.
- These channels are set to leave YouTube TV amid battle with NBC
- Google says YouTube TV will get a $10/month price drop if NBC channels leave next week
- NBC tried to force YouTube TV to bundle Peacock into customers’ monthly payment
It’s not clear how long the NBC on YouTube TV extension will last and whether it will continue into the weekend. There are a number of upcoming games, and the season 47 premiere of Saturday Night Live (Owen Wilson hosts with musical guest Kacey Musgraves).
More about YouTube TV:
- YouTube TV expands Spanish language coverage with the arrival of Univision channels
- YouTube TV adds over a half dozen channels to its ‘Sports Plus’ package
- Roku exec says nothing has progressed in the past 3 months w/ YouTube TV feud
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.