In this week’s top stories: Our roundups of the best Android phones and best budget Android phones for July, Pokemon GO’s official release takes over the app charts, Android One launches in Japan, and much more. Head below for these and the rest of this week’s most shared stories.
Best iPhone, iPad, & Apple TV game controllers
This week we updated our “best Android phones you can buy” piece for July, also offering up our picks on the the best budget Android phones currently. The first Android One device launched in Japan with the Sharp 507SH, and the HTC Desire 530 arrived at Verizon, T-Mobile, and HTC.com in the U.S.
We also saw the first Sailfish/Marlin render showing an aluminum design, G logo, and lack of Nexus branding.
- The best Android phones you can buy [July 2016]
- The best budget Android phones you can buy [July 2016]
- First Sailfish/Marlin render shows aluminum design, G logo, lack of Nexus branding
- Huawei implies that a photo from a $4,500 DSLR was taken by its P9 smartphone
- HummingBad malware said to have infected 85M Android devices, be generating $4M/year
- HTC Desire 530 coming to Verizon, T-Mobile, and HTC.com in the U.S.
- OxygenOS 3.2.0 rolling out now for OnePlus 3 owners w/ improved RAM management and bug fixes
- Sharp 507SH is Japan’s first Android One device w/ 3 day battery life and waterproofing
- Samsung’s new Smart Glow LED notification ring leaked on the upcoming Galaxy J2 (2016)
- PSA: Checking for software updates on your OnePlus 3 can expose your IMEI on open networks
- TrendForce: HTC 10 yearly production volume forecasted at just 1 million units
One of our biggest stories this week was the official release of Pokémon GO for Android device users in the US and many other countries worldwide. Google also started offering a 4-month free trial for Google Play Music and YouTube Red, and it released an updated Gmail API to give app devs more access to settings.
- Pokémon GO now available on Android in select countries
- Google now offering 4 month free trial for Google Play Music/YouTube Red
- Updated Gmail API gives devs access to settings for signatures, filters, auto-replies, forwarding & more
- PSA: Google Local Guides who reach Level 4 now receive 100GB of Drive storage, not 1TB
Alphabet | GOOG |
We move onto to a bit of company news, including Google’s June self-driving car report, and we finish off with this week’s top videos.
- A man afraid of Google tracking attacked the Googleplex, torched Street View/self-driving cars
- Google is reportedly building two of its own Android Wear smartwatches
- June self-driving car report details how Google’s cars share the road with cyclists