While all eyes on OnePlus today have been related to the reveal of a coming smart TV, the company is prepping to launch a big contest starting tomorrow – OnePlus Crackables.
The best gifts for Android users
The first teaser for OnePlus Crackables hit the web last week, and it left many confused with what the company was building. Today, less than 24 hours ahead of the official launch, we’re getting some details on what exactly to expect, as well as how Google is involved.
OnePlus Crackables essentially boils down to a puzzle game in which players will compete against one another to solve a series of different puzzles as quickly as possible. The game is played directly on your smartphone through the web browser. The first 1,000 players who manage to get through the three opening challenges will then be sent physical controllers which will be required to continue in the competition.
Those who make it to the end of the competition are in for a big prize too. The grand prize winner will be awarded with an “ultimate gaming setup” which is worth $30,000, although there’s no indication on exactly what that is. Apparently, second and third place winners will be awarded other “mysterious prizes.”
We’ve yet to try out Crackables for ourselves, but Ryne from Android Police was able to spend some early access time with the puzzler and describes it as “equal parts entertaining and infuriating.” As a side note, those with early access to the game won’t be eligible to compete for prizes as it is a time-based game.
The biggest question surrounding OnePlus Crackables on our end regarded Google’s involvement in the project. The company explains:
OnePlus worked closely with the APAC division of the Google Zoo team to develop this campaign. Google Zoo is a creative team within Google that helps brands and agencies unlock the creative potential of Google technology.
OnePlus Crackables kicks off tomorrow, September 18th, at 8AM EST. The game will be playable through crackables.oneplus.com.
More on OnePlus:
- OnePlus plans to launch a ‘premium’ TV w/ AI, built-in camera, could launch in 2019
- OnePlus introduces Type-C Bullets earbuds as the headphone jack dies
- OnePlus 6T confirmed to pack in-display fingerprint sensor, thicker design
OnePlus launches Crackables – a series of crypto-challenges for gamers around the world
Players will have the opportunity to win a $30,000 ultimate gaming setup and other prizes along the way
San Francisco – September 17, 2018 – OnePlus announces Crackables today, a limited-time game created together with their friends at Google.
The company’s commitment to providing a fast and smooth user experience has helped to create the perfect platform for mobile gamers. As one of the few smartphone companies who offer up to 8 GB of RAM, OnePlus appeals to power users at both hardware and software levels.
With its tech-savvy users in mind, OnePlus, in collaboration with Google, has developed a challenging series of Android-based crypto-puzzles, open to anyone to participate.
The game was written by Sleep Deprivation Lab, and is comprised of a series of compelling puzzles that need a combination of skill and speed to complete.
Players will be guided through a series of puzzles, both digital and physical, in order to keep progressing. Only the first 1000 people to make it through the first 3 challenges will qualify to continue and have the microcontroller sent to them to become a potential winner.
There will be opportunities to win prizes at multiple stages in the game, but only 1 will be awarded the grand prize, an ultimate gaming setup, valued at $30,000.
It’s a race against the clock and the timer begins on September 18, 8am ET. Experience the game for yourself here: https://crackables.oneplus.com/
What was Google’s role in this campaign?
- OnePlus worked closely with the APAC division of the Google Zoo team to develop this campaign. Google Zoo is a creative team within Google that helps brands and agencies unlock the creative potential of Google technology.
Can the game be played on PC?
- Crackables is a mobile-only experience
Do I need to download an app to play Crackables?
- No, anyone can play Crackables by visiting crackables.oneplus.com.
What are the prizes?
- 1 Grand Prize: an Ultimate Gaming setup, valued at $30,000
- In addition to the Grand Prize, there will be many other mysterious prizes awarded to second and third place winners.
Can those with early access to the game compete for prizes?
- Since Crackables is a time-based game, anyone who has early access is not eligible to compete for prizes
What is Sleep Deprivation Lab?
- Sleep Deprivation Lab was founded by Christian Cantamessa, an award-winning game designer and filmmaker. With its roster of experienced creators, the company provides writing, directing, and producing services for films, comic books, virtual reality and video games
Who wrote the Crackables challenge?
- The Crackables Challenge was written by Davidson Cole. Davidson is an alumnus of the Sundance Film Festival (DESIGN, 2002) and has written for tabletop and video games for over two decades. He has been a writer for several sci-fi/fantasy/horror universes including the classic cyberpunk setting Shadowrun, F.E.A.R. and most recently Eclipse Phase. Davidson has been a Sleep Deprivation Lab collaborator since 2015