After officially releasing new backgrounds to mark International Friendship Day last week, Google has released new Pixel wallpapers for August that celebrate Indigenous Peoples and specifically Australia’s nature.
Original 8/2: This month’s trio, following the August security patch, is paintings (versus digital artwork) of Gudanji, NT Australia, by artist/designer Ryhia Dank. They wonderfully show off the natural beauty of the place:
- Elements: Coexisting on country. — “This piece reflects People, Kangaroo Tracks, Water, Fire and Earth. All coexisting.”
- Regenerate: Endurance after burning off. — “Burning off on country sees a contrast of red earth, black trees and green growth.”
- Waterways: After the Wet Season. — “Country has its fill of water, rivers and creeks are flowing creating new pathways.”
Update 8/8: These wallpapers mark International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples on August 9. Ahead of that, Google Australia published a Q&A with the artist and also had the following to say:
We respect and honour Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders past and present. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and commit to building a brighter future together.
At Google, we have a vision of empowerment and equitable opportunity for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and commit to building Reconciliation through Google’s technology, platforms and people.
These join 15 other wallpapers for Pride Month, AAPI Heritage Month, Earth Day, International Women’s Day, Black History Month, and International Friendship Day. Meanwhile, they remain not particularly optimized for the Pixel 4a, 4a 5G, or 5’s front-facing hole-punch camera in the top-left corner.
Officially available in the Wallpaper & Style app on the Pixel 3 and later (including Android 12) today, owners of other devices can set the new high-resolution Australia wallpapers from the gallery above.
More about Google Pixel:
- Google confirms ‘Pixel 6’ and ‘Pixel 6 Pro’ name with ‘Tensor’ chip, coming this fall
- Pixel 6 specs: ‘Tensor’ chip, 120Hz display, 4x zoom, under-display fingerprint
- Yes, you heard right — the Pixel 6 series looks to restore a ‘real’ earpiece speaker
- Google confirms camera revamp on Pixel 6 series, including 4x telephoto on ‘Pro’
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.