Google today rolled out the final update for the Pixel 3 and 3 XL. This update was targeted for the first quarter of 2022 back in November.
The 2018 flagships hit the guaranteed update period in October 2021 with Android 12, but Google is providing one more patch like they did with the Pixel 2 and 2 XL. However, it’s arriving in February instead of December.
Google did actually release a small update in January for the Pixel 3 line to address the emergency calling-Microsoft Teams issue, but that remained on the October security patch.
Today’s update is labeled “Feb 2022” and should be cumulative. Google confirmed to us that this is the final update for the Pixel 3 and 3 XL. There are two builds, with Australian carriers Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone getting their own version:
- Pixel 3 XL: Android 12 — SP1A.210812.016.B1 (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone AU), SP1A.210812.016.C1 — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel 3: Android 12 — SP1A.210812.016.B1 (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone AU), SP1A.210812.016.C1 — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
We originally speculated that the Q1 2022 timing by Google could line up with Android 12L, but that did not end up being the case. The Pixel 3a and 3a XL — which remains eligible for the Beta Program — will end up getting an update to the latest version of Android as it is seven months newer.
More on Pixel 3:
- Pixel 3 loses unlimited ‘Original’ photo backups today; ending a novel differentiator for Google
- Opinion: Android’s update problem fails the Pixel 3 and other phones on security, not features
- Google still thinks 3 years of updates provide a ‘great experience’ ahead of cutting off Pixel 3
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.