In the latest example of a late Google Play system update, the February 2023 patch for Pixel phones is just rolling out today after having missed its original month.
9to5Google has a rebooted newsletter that highlights the biggest Google stories with added commentary and other tidbits. Sign up here!
On the Pixel 7 (running Android 13 QPR1 stable), the update is 54MB. On the Pixel 6 Pro (QPR2 Beta) and other devices, it is 50MB. We’re not seeing this update on a Pixel 7 Pro running Android 14.
Despite coming in March, it’s still better than the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro missing out on the December 2022 Play system update entirely. On Google phones, open Settings > Security & privacy > Updates > Google Play system update. After downloading, your phone will require a reboot.
Of note last month are tweaks to Nearby Share, like “audio and tactile feedback,” and a trio of additions for Wallet/payment. Google’s full changelog is below:
- [Phone] Bug fixes for system management & diagnostics, and utilities related services.
- [Phone] Improved user experience for parents to give consent on behalf of supervised accounts.
- [Phone] Pin Nearby Sharing heads up notification to screen when shown.
- [Phone] Add audio and tactile feedback to Nearby Share.
Google Play Store
- New Features to help you discover the Apps & Games you love.
- Optimizations allowing faster and more reliable download and installation.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to keep your device safe.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes and improvements to security, stability and accessibility.
- With LiveOps reporting, you can report bad in-app events, offers, and updates from Apps & Games.
- [Phone] Learn more about search results by expanding them directly in the search results page.
- [Phone] Bug fixes for Account Management, and System Management & Diagnostics related services.
- [Phone] Add autofill support for valuable cards from Google Wallet.
- [Phone] Updated user experience within Google Pay to send money internationally to IN users using recipient’s phone number via third party services.
- [Phone] This feature provides improvements to the Google Pay experience in Japan.
- [Phone] Update appearances for transit card and payment screens.
- [Phone] New developer features for Google and third party app developers to support Machine Learning & AI related developer services in their apps.
- [Phone, TV] New developer features for Google and third party app developers to support Ads, and Maps related developer services in their apps.
- Updates to system management services that improve device connectivity, network usage, security, stability, and updatability.
- [Phone] Updates to System Management, and Usability services that improve Device Performance.
- [Auto] [TV] [Phone] [Wear OS] Updates to System Management, and Usability services that improve Privacy.
- [Auto] [TV] [Phone] [Wear OS] [PC] Updates to System Management, and Usability services that improve Stability.
Available through Google Play system update for February.Available through Google Play services v04.23 updated on 02/01/2023
Available through Google Play Store v34.3 updated on 02/01/2023
Available through Google Play Store v34.4 updated on 02/06/2023
Available through Google Play services v05.23 updated on 02/08/2023
Available through Google Play services v06.23 updated on 02/15/2023
Available through Google Play Store v34.6 updated on 02/20/2023
Available through Google Play services v07.23 updated on 02/22/2023
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.