We’re here at the AllThingsD D11 conference where Walt Mossberg is interviewing Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside and SVP Regina Dugan. Catch our live blog below:
– Woodside says a handful of new Android phones from company launching within 6 months.
– Woodside confirms “hero” phone called “Moto X” will have wide launch.
– Moto X makes use of many sensors like accelerometers. Example: Phone taken out of pocket, camera launches. Phone can be contextually-aware when it is in a car. Full story here.
– Built in the United States. 2000 jobs for this project. Built in Forth Worth, Texas. Parts sourced from Taiwan/Korea. 5000 square foot facility.
– Walt asking about Advanced Technologies team. Dugan talking about problems that could be fixed through innovation. Dugan talking about authentication for cell phones. Dugan is profoundly interested in wearables.
– Dugan is wearing an electronic tattoo for authentication. Whoa. And a vitamin pill that has a switch to turn your entire body into an authenticator.
– Big unsolved problems: breaking phones, battery issues. These won’t be fixed this year, but seemingly solutions are in development.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.