With the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 getting such bad press thanks to its tendency to explode, many assumed that the Note brand would be effectively finished after that device. Not so, says Samsung mobile chief Koh Dong-jin in a recent interview. The Galaxy Note 8 is confirmed to be on the way…
We heard in a report from the Korea Herald earlier this year that this might be the case, and now Samsung has confirmed that news — at least in part — to CNET.
“I will bring back a better, safer and very innovative Note 8,” Koh said. Why has the company decided to stick it out with the brand? Koh says that Samsung “found through the investigative process [that] there are lots and lots of loyal Note customers.”
It’s not exactly clear just how loyal these customers will be going forward, however. One IDC survey from October of last year said that half of exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users would switch to iPhone following the recall, while only 17% said that they would consider another Samsung device.
Regardless, it must be nice for Samsung to have this ordeal behind them. And the Galaxy S8, which obviously doesn’t share the Note brand name, might do well for the company anyway. It’s scheduled to launch a month or two after Mobile World Congress takes place, and will reportedly be a significant departure over the S7, with no physical keys, tiny bezels, & 3D touch-like features. We’ll see.
More Note 7 coverage:
- Purported photos of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 battery testing lab surface [Gallery]
- Samsung says batteries from two manufacturers were the cause of Note 7 explosions [Video]
- Samsung will officially announce the results of its Galaxy Note 7 investigation this Sunday
- Verizon redirecting outgoing Galaxy Note 7 calls as ‘thousands’ still in use, further steps planned
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.