The Nvidia Shield TV series has easily become the collection of Android devices with the best update history, but the recent upgrade to Android TV 11 brought with it some major bugs. Now, Nvidia is rolling out the 9.0.1 update for Shield TV that fixes the most common issues.
Android TV 11 for the Nvidia Shield TV brought an unfortunate number of problems, primarily due to system-level changes to storage that Google introduced in Android 10 and Android 11. Those changes resulted in Shield TV owners seeing broken Plex servers, issues with external storage and permissions, and other issues. Beyond that, the update also caused some apps to have issues with content playback.
Shield Experience 9.0.1 is now available to fix these issues with the Shield TV’s Android 11 update. In an email to 9to5Google, Nvidia says that the update is rolling out over the “next few days” to all Shield TV devices. The company also offered up a brief changelog for what the update delivers:
- Resolves PLEX Media Server issue
- Fixes storage permissions on media player, file browser, and emulator apps
- Fixes stutter when playing interlaced content
In a longer changelog posted to its forums, Nvidia details a plethora of other fixes including HDMI tweaks, a fix for video corruption in the YouTube TV app, and many other fixes.
Notably, Nvidia previously made a hotfix available to Shield TV owners to fix some of these issues, but that update was not widely rolled out and rather required manual signup to be pushed to individual devices.
More on Shield TV:
- Shield TV expands its sweet AI upscaling to GeForce Now, works on PC with Nvidia GPUs too
- Nvidia Shield TV gets Android TV 11 today, brings Stadia button support to more controllers
- Shield TV gets 4K HDR 7.1 surround sound cloud gaming w/ GeForce Now’s new 3080 tier
This article has been updated to include mention of Nvidia’s longer changelog, which is now available.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.