By adding a long sought after remote and being quite affordable, the Chromecast with Google TV is one of today’s highlight announcements. In fact, the Google Store has sold out of the streaming dongle’s “Sky” and “Sunrise” colors.
Update 10/1: Since we posted yesterday afternoon, all three Netflix bundle colors went “out of stock.” It includes six months of Standard (HD streaming, 2 screens) service for only $40 instead of $77.94). As of this morning, the only Chromecast with Google TV you can order is the standalone hardware in Snow.
Original 9/30: The dongle is available in white, blue, and salmon/pink. Since the Chromecast goes behind your TV and is normally out of sight, the colors don’t really matter, but it’s an innately whimsical flair by Google. The Voice Remote does match the Chromecast, though in a lighter shade, and you do interact with it quite often.
After going on sale at 11 a.m. PT stateside, the Chromecast with Google TV is completely unavailable in Sky. Selecting that color on the config page will return an “out of stock” status or “TEMPORARILY_UNAVAILABLE” message/URL that stops you from proceeding to the checkout page. This applies to both the standalone unit and the “Netflix bundle.” Sky is also “sold out” at Best Buy as of Wednesday afternoon.
Meanwhile, the Sunrise + Netflix offering is definitively out of stock on the Google Store. Availability of just the hardware is also spotty, but you might get lucky.
Snow can still be checked out to your cart, with that white model being the one readily appearing on store shelves a few days before launch. The two color variants did not leak out ahead of time.
More about Chromecast:
- Google will sell an Ethernet adapter for its new Android TV-powered Chromecast
- The $30 Chromecast won’t be discontinued, but Chromecast Ultra will only be sold w/ Stadia
- You can use a USB-C hub with the new Chromecast for Ethernet and more, but it’s not easy
- The new Chromecast’s remote can remap its YouTube button to YouTube TV, Music, and Kids
- Chromecast with Google TV comes with color-matching AAA batteries
- Google’s new Chromecast is built using recycled plastic, with no black model as a result
- Stadia won’t be on Google Chromecast at launch, but it’s coming in the first half of 2021
- Chromecast with Google TV is available today for $49 with a remote, Android TV OS
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.