Following the launch of Android 8.1, Google also released Android Oreo for Android Wear after a brief beta program for the wearable platform. A mostly technical upgrade, there are a handful of convenient new features. On Friday, Google announced a list of smartwatches getting upgraded to Oreo, as well as which devices are now receiving the update.
Android 8.0 adds notification channel support that provides more granular on-device control over app alerts, while background limits should aid battery life. The latter feature is coupled with a “Battery saver” feature that can now be manually toggled in settings.
Users can now also control the vibration stretch of notifications, as well as disable tap-to-wake with “Touch lock.” Android Wear is also rolling out to seven new countries/languages with this release.
- Fossil Q Venture (launch)
- LG Watch Sport (review)
- Louis Vuitton Tambour (launch)
- Michael Kors Sofie (review)
- Montblanc Summit (launch)
Meanwhile, “Watches that are currently pursuing the Android Wear Oreo (8.0) update” are:
- Casio PRO TREK Smart WSD-F20 (launch)
- Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch (launch)
- Diesel Full Guard (launch)
- Emporio Armani Connected (launch)
- Fossil Q Control (launch)
- Fossil Q Explorist (launch)
- Fossil Q Founder 2.0 (launch)
- Fossil Q Marshal (launch)
- Fossil Q Wander (launch)
- Gc Connect
- Guess Connect (launch)
- Huawei Watch 2 (review)
- Hugo BOSS BOSS Touch (launch)
- LG Watch Style (review)
- Michael Kors Access Bradshaw (launch)
- Michael Kors Access Dylan (launch)
- Michael Kors Access Grayson (review)
- Misfit Vapor (launch)
- Mobvoi Ticwatch S & E (launch)
- Movado Connect (launch)
- Nixon Mission (launch)
- Polar M600 (launch)
- TAG Heuer Tag Connected Modular 45 (launch)
- Tommy Hilfiger 24/7 You (launch)
- ZTE Quartz (review)
Analyzing the list, older Snapdragon 400 devices are not receiving the update, with the original Huawei Watch and 2nd gen Moto 360/Sport from 2015 absent. In terms of devices from major tech companies, the Asus ZenWatch 3 currently seems like a particularly big omission. Meanwhile, all recent watches from fashion brands are getting the update.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.