This week we talk about Google’s messaging mess with the shutdowns of Hangouts and Allo, some followup on the Pixel Slate, Google Chrome, and much more.
New episodes of Alphabet Scoop are recorded every Friday and published on Saturday mornings. Subscribe to our podcast in Google Play or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available.
- Google addresses Pixel 3 RAM management, camera performance, and more w/ December security patch’
- More carriers to support Pixel 3 eSIM as Google helping build more eSIM Android phones
- Google Call Screen transcripts now rolling out to Pixel users, here’s how it works
- [Update: Google statement] 2019 is your last year to use Google Hangouts ‘classic’ if you haven’t moved on already
- After months-long ‘pause,’ shortlived Google Allo messaging app will soon be sunset for good
- Google officially confirms Allo shutdown for 2019, move away from ‘classic Hangouts’
- Say goodbye? I say Allo: A brief look at the past, present, and future of Google messaging
- Google Allo 27 preps for shutdown w/ new chat and photo/video export [APK Insight]
- Hands-on: Hangouts Chat is still far from ready to replace ‘classic Hangouts’ for consumers
- [Update: Rolling out] Verizon launching Universal Profile RCS ‘Chat’ for Pixel 3 on December 6th
- Google Duo for Android rolling out faster video messaging
- [Update: Now back, Duo, Android Messages for Webtoo] With one foot in the grave, Google’s Allo is currently down for most users
- Microsoft confirms Edge rewrite based on Google’s Chromium for ‘improved compatibility’
- Microsoft ‘intends’ for its Chromium-based Edge browser to support existing Google Chrome extensions
- Chrome 71 for Mac, Windows, Linux rolling out w/ ad removal on abusive sites, billing protection
- Chrome 71 for Android rolling out w/ settings tweaks, billing warning, more
- December security patch rolling out to Pixel & Nexus, factory images and OTAs live
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.