In this week’s top stories: Google’s Pixel 3 gets its official DxO score and it’s controversial, we discuss over a dozen Google Home Hub tips, more on Android dark mode, new reviews, Android Pie updates, and much more…
One of the biggest stories of the past week has been the reveal of DxO’s score for the Pixel 3 camera. Google’s smartphone cameras have been among the best for the past few years, but the Pixel 3 had a surprisingly low score of 101, just 3 points ahead of the OnePlus 6T and a tie with the iPhone XR.
Especially notable in this test is that the Pixel 3 matches the iPhone XR for its total score. The iPhone, by comparison, has a score of 103 and 96 for photo and video, respectively, and it previously held the crown as best single-lens phone until the Pixel 3 score was released. That score leaves the Pixel tied for 5th place in the overall results.
This week Google also revealed that its Chrome browser would be getting an update to keep websites from taking advantage of the history feature to prevent users from going back.
There’s a problem with the web that we’ve all likely faced. You go to read an article on a less-than-stellar website and find that it’s not what you were looking for. Then, when you use the back button to leave, nothing happens, and you have to click it many times to truly leave. Google’s Chrome team calls this “history manipulation,” and has come up with a new solution to put it to an end.
Our own Damien Wilde also dropped his full review of the new Ticwatch C2 from Mobvoi this week. While it’s not a perfect smartwatch, it earned high marks in his testing as a solid Wear OS device, especially for the $199 price tag.
Huawei announced this week that its Android Pie update would begin rolling out as well. Several of the copmany’s flagship smartphones are getting updated to the latest version of Android, and it carries the cleaner EMUI 9.0 skin over top as well.
This week, Huawei has announced that its Android Pie update is starting to head out to users across the globe for select devices. Huawei is rolling out this update to several devices at first, including last year’s Huawei Mate 10/Pro and Huawei P20/Pro as well. The Honor Play, Honor View 10, and Honor 10 should also see the update sometime in the near future.
As a flood of new Google Home Hub and Assistant users unwrap their new devices for Christmas next week, we took a look at 15 tips and tricks for Assistant speakers and displays. In related Assistant news, Google’s “Home Alone Again” ad delivered a fun trip down memory lane with Kevin McCallister.
- Google Home Hub and Google Assistant tips and tricks: 15 things to get you started [Video]
- Google Assistant and Kevin McCallister star in hilarious ‘Home Alone Again’ ad
We also took another dive into Android’s continually building dark mode this week. A brief tutorial shows how to enable dark mode everywhere it’s available so far thanks to a couple of simple settings baked into Android Pie.
The Rest Of This Week’s Top Stories Follow:
- HTC ‘rebooting’ smartphone sales with flagship and mid-range models in 2019
- Nokia 8 gets Android 9 Pie update, lacking features such as Adaptive Battery, app actions, etc
- Apple Music account tweets using Twitter for Android
- Chrome for Android to get a healthy dose of Google Sans
- Chrome 72 beta: Incognito media notifications on Android, Assistant & Pie for more Chromebooks
- Google’s Chrome OS Camera app is now open source
- YouTube TV discounts NBA League Pass for the holidays, adds ‘Local Now’ channel
- Google releases fun ‘Game of the Year’ that quizzes you on 2018’s top trends
- X graduates Malta as non-Alphabet company working on cheap salt-based energy storage
- Comment: At $360, today’s Google Pixel 2 deal makes it the best Android phone to buy
- Pixel’s ‘Marvelous Marble’ live wallpaper not displaying real-time weather on Android Pie
- Google Pixel 3 featured on Saturday Night Live in half sketch, half ad
APPS & UPDATES |
- Google Calendar on the web updated w/ Google Material Theme tweaks
- Dark Sky for Android rolling out Wear OS app w/ watch face complications
VIDEOS & REVIEWS |
- Review: The Pocophone F1 bests every mid-ranger out there on price and performance, but don’t buy it [Video]
- Cam Compare: Pixel 3 XL vs Pocophone F1 – Does double the cost equal twice the camera performance? [Video]
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.